App Making Software?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • The only thing I hate about C3 is, it projects itself only a Game Making Software while it has immense potential for application development even on its current state but If they introduce some basic tool akin to what Thunkable offering and some Android/iOS templates, I bet most people will stop using Android Studio.

cc Ashley

What do you think?

• The engine has specialized features for games and is focused on games. It can make apps well, but that's as a bi-product of just being a good 2D engine. I think on Scirra's part what their idea is to market it as what it's intended for - games - and people who find it useful for app creation will be pleasantly surprised versus if they advertise it as a App creation / Game creation platform, and people will be disappointed by it's limitations.

• The engine has specialized features for games and is focused on games. It can make apps well, but that's as a bi-product of just being a good 2D engine. I think on Scirra's part what their idea is to market it as what it's intended for - games - and people who find it useful for app creation will be pleasantly surprised versus if they advertise it as a App creation / Game creation platform, and people will be disappointed by it's limitations.

Well, I can totally understand your point, people may be disappointed but they will not if Scirra advertise it in such a manner, like C3 can never be used to create utility software which does native system-level kinds of stuff, but can easily be used to create a basic application, like Point of Sale app, Inventory Management app, education/learning app, eCommerce app etc. It can be achieved on C3 on its current states,

While digging through Construct community I have found This thread, I amazed what people are ably achieved through C2. However, it would be convenient if they introduced some tool specific to those subjects.

• Some years back Tom said that the support for "software making things" on C3 is in their to-do list, I hope we can get any update or the road-map for the same soon. ✌️

Source: Click Here

• I got a feeling Ashley is not too keen to support development of anything other than games in Construct. Check out this comment.

• For those of us who develop apps or app-sy games this is the main limiation of Construct:

it is not well suited for developing user interfaces.

Whereas Construct excels at game creation, game logic etc., a lot of game staples such as popup boxes, scrollable menus, inventories etc. usually require clever "making it work" via various things that are not normally designed for this purpose.

For example, most of what I create involves some sort of a scrollable panel, be it a level list or a menu, and it's always a pain in the butt to set it up; pinning stuff together, clamping, easing, including invisible objects and whatnot. I understand that in classic programming this sort of stuff may involve even more intricate tinkering but considering how easy and straightforward it is, for example, to have a platformer sprite, it's a bit of a cognitive dissonance.

Also basic non-game-y elements such as text, textboxes, checkboxes etc. behave their own way since they use the standard HTMl5 controls (e.g. they float over the canvas so you can't cover them with anything). A dream come true would be if all these were rewritten as "native" C3 objects but I assume that would be a whole new undertaking that would also take some focus away from what's most important.

Still I surely wouldn't be averse to some more Ui related features/facilities/tools (the frickin scrollviews!).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The elements needed for gui already exist.

They do not exist as a premade template, or sharable form.

That is something we as a community could do. It's doable as copy and paste, although a little more complicated.

• Perhaps the elements can be arranged and formatted with a simple built in algorithm with control over the positioning of elements(I think there are many features for all this -Ex- The Dynamic Positioning of Elements with Ruler in Bubble) but I think that they are all editor only and I think that the arrangements of elements can be coded into rules since they are very specific and we all know how they should be arranged.

And their formatting(Elements can be easily formatted in many web services and they can be done in Construct also by Formats,Designs,Design Rules and Visual Design Containers)

Whereas Spacing and Expansion rules such as

1) Maintain Space from Each other

2) Do not improperly draw over other elements(which the drop down lists in some programs do which can be easily avoided by having better drop down list properties and dropped down images(As the perfect drop down lists in PowerPoint),

Cheers

• Well, Lets Hope.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)