Has anybody implemented localization in their games?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily generate many levels from a set of pre-built scenes (Construct 3 template)
  • Hi,

How do you tackle localization of your games?

Up to recently I had the strategy of just compiling mutliple language versions of an app and uploading them as separate apps to Appstore/Google Play. This is however super cumbersome.

So I'd like to do it the proper way, which means loading strings from a file. This is actually pretty easy using arrays but how do I reliably detect the user's language? Also, are there any C3 plugins that would make this easier (e.g. allowing for use of wildcards in the translated strings etc.)?

Has anybody had experience with successful implementation of this kind of localization in C2/C3?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You definitely should check this.

https://www.scirra.com/store/construct2 ... lugin-3679

I use it in a project and it's well worth the price.

• Ok, so firstly. I use this plugin. It's easy as all the translations can be in ONE file. Simple! (Only tried in C2)

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/5349/t ... ate-plugin

Secondly ... a HUGE time saver if you want A LOT of languages. I created a Google doc that creates ALL translations in a second (you can edit them if necessary after). See the image below, and the function that I've used. I would then export this as a CSV and convert to a JSON for the plugin, then DONE! Tonnes of languages added / updated.

Of course you need to add an option to select the language in your game (or auto load a language .. see plugin tutorial above).

• Thank you both. This is just what I was looking for.

• I'm using rex's csv plugin and have all my dialogue and stuff just in different columns which are being called dependent on a variable that sets the language setting

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)