Animation cap at 60FPS?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Ninja char for your game! Make your own Shinobi game with this art.
  • I've just realised that animations are set in frames per second and locked to maximum 60 FPS in construct 3

in normal cases I suppose you would have to be a masochist to want to animate above 60FPS in 2D

however if you had a game with an extreme slowdown feature you might want more than 60FPS on some key aspects to avoid choppy animation in the slow-mo phases.

and, as discussed elsewhere, as higher than 60FPS frame-rate hardware is becoming more common some users may want above 60 FPS animations for ultra smooth animations. (especially as you can get something like Spriter to chuck out the frames for you.(assuming it will output more than 60FPS)

so may be worth increasing the FPS cap on animations.

Ashley just throwing it out there

• I don't think the fps is going to affect movement or animation when you slow down a game if it stays at 60. I believe what's going to create the choppy movement is how many frames your animation has. If you plan on doing slow motion, you're going to have to create more intermediate frames for the animation to make it look smooth, not increase the frame rate.

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • Slowing down the game will make animations run slower, not faster, right? So the cap wouldn't be a problem.

There is no fixed cap, it's just at the moment sprites don't advance more than one animation frame per tick. On a 120Hz display that means you can run animations at 120FPS.

• If you want smooth animations regardless of game speed I would highly suggest using other means than frame animations.

Spriter, Spine, or animate parts of your characters with code or timeline feature. As the inbetween frames are calculated in realtime based on curves rather than frame-by frame that is slowed down.

Of you take a 30fps frame animation and play it at slowmo (10% speed) it will be a view as 3fps animation, and will look like the frames are choppy.

Timeline based animations will calculate the inbetween frames regardles of speed so will always play at framerate.

• Ashley

Slowing down the game will make animations run slower, not faster, right? So the cap wouldn't be a problem.

Yea that is the issue, the animations will run slower so the 60 FPS animation cap then becomes an issue.

if the game is running at 1/60 timescale then animation will be running at 1 frame per second. and you cant currently make the animation run faster than that (unless you give it its own dt).

There is no fixed cap, it's just at the moment sprites don't advance more than one animation frame per tick. On a 120Hz display that means you can run animations at 120FPS.

There is definitely a cap of 60 FPS in the animations editor. (which I am assuming is (game) frame-rate independent but it sound like you are saying it is not?)

• tunepunk

If you want smooth animations ....

yea totally agree im just saying there may be situations where you might want/need to take advantage of a higher than 60 FPS animation.

• Fengist

"you're going to have to create more intermediate frames for the animation to make it look smooth"

yea that is the point I am badly trying to make. You cannot currently have more tha 60FPS (animation) when the game is running 1x timescale.

so if the game is running 1/60x timescale you cannot have more than 1FPS (animation)

• NetOne is referring to the fact that you cannot set the speed value in the animations editor higher than 60, even if you have 600 frames in your animation you want to be played over the duration of one second.

I'm hypothesizing the solution is to manually advance the frames via events, dividing by DT. When at regular speed, intermediate frames will be skipped, and when you set .1 timescale, you'll have your 60 fps, or 6 fps at .01 ect.

• The 'Set animation speed' action doesn't have any limit. I'm not sure why the animations editor would impose a limit, you could probably file a bug for that.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • thanks oosyrag yes that is what I was trying to say :(

Ashley

oh, ok , I will file a bug then.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)