Animation can't run faster than 1 frame per tick

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • I just discovered that it's not possible to run an animation faster than 1 frame per tick. If I have a long animation, say with 200 frames, the fastest it can be finished is in ~3 seconds (at 60 fps). Even if I set animation speed=1000

Why can't I speed it up, skipping some frames? Seems like a weird limitation.

This also means that an animation with speed=60 will run slower on a 50Hz monitor, making this one of the fundamental mechanics of Construct frame rate dependent.

Tagged:

• Sounds like more of a gotcha since you really wouldn't see all frames anyway.

I mean designing it to skip frames seems counter intuitive.

• newt Imagine if a movie you are watching would play at 80% speed because your TV can't handle 120 fps. This is just wrong.

Also, why can't I play an animation at a higher than framerate speed? I have a fancy "magic charging" animation, which plays over 2 seconds. However, I want to play it in reverse twice as fast when it's discharging. Instead of simply setting animation speed to -120, I have to use workarounds like running a tween.

• Because its not a movie?

• newt there are still use cases for this, even if it's not a movie. For example, you might want to change timescale to speed up the game, but animations keep playing at normal speed. Or when the game runs below 60 fps because of the performance - animations will be slowed down to match fps limit, even though the game is not slowed down.

Anyway, Ashley had already answered this question before:

construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/why-animation-speed-capped-160837

• I wonder if a tick box could be added in the animation editor, named "Skip frames if animation speed is beyond framerate" (or something more concise!) and default it to "Off" which prevents it from affecting old projects, but allow everyone to choose to have it going forward.

One for the suggestion pile!

• I wonder if a tick box could be added in the animation editor, named "Skip frames if animation speed is beyond framerate" (or something more concise!) and default it to "Off" which prevents it from affecting old projects, but allow everyone to choose to have it going forward.

One for the suggestion pile!

That's what I also suggested in the old topic, but since most users seem to be okay with the current system - C3 devs, probably, don't want to spend time on this feature, and don't want to add more UI elements.

• You can speed it up by skipping frames with actions.

Certain condition met > every tick ? animation go to currentframe +2

when you reach the last frame run it backwards with currentframe -2

Not ideal, but could work well depending on how smooth the animation is

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • newt there are still use cases for this, even if it's not a movie. For example, you might want to change timescale to speed up the game, but animations keep playing at normal speed. Or when the game runs below 60 fps because of the performance - animations will be slowed down to match fps limit, even though the game is not slowed down.

Anyway, Ashley had already answered this question before:

https://www.construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/why-animation-speed-capped-160837

Yeah and he hit on another reason why its a terrible idea, you have wasted memory.

Even if you set the frames via events those frames are still loaded into memory.

This is why we have stuff like Spriter.

We need tools for things like better controls for mesh deformations, not ways to show less frames.

• newt I didn't try spriter, but how many entities can you animate before you run out of CPU, especially on mobile?

As to wasted memory - it would be up to developers to decide in which cases they should use this feature.

• Dunno ask Brashmonkey.

Probably more than you can have of video files playing.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)