Android game lag/stutter and framerate drops

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
320 high-quality cinematic sound effects for trailers and game scenes.
  • Hello everyone,

I tried searching for a similar topic on the forum but didn`t exactly found anyone having the same issue, so I will make a new post, I`m sorry if I missed anything.

For a first game, I tried making a flappy-bird kind of an endless lopping game, followed all of the tutorials here about performance boosting and optimization, exporting, etc, and yet still my game (which is 13MB in size) suffers from constant stutters and framerate drops.

I reduced the size of all the sprites and took out the music but the problem is still there.

I will write some of the general properties about the game and can provide an app file for anyone willing to test it and help me out. If you have any tips or tricks on how to make my game less laggy, I will be very grateful, for I am having a blast working in Construct, and can`t wait to publish my first game.

Properties are:

Resolution: 1280x720, Worker is not used, Scripts type: Module, Framerate: Vsynced, Compositing mode: Standard, GPU preference: default, Downscaling: Medium, Max spritesheet size: 2048

The lagging does not happen when I preview the game on PC, and other games made with Construct (I get them from PlayStore) run just fine on the devices I use to test.

Here is the app, it is unfinished, but you can test it out:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15aR2T1PLfojI232zqqNSccqmp5usPNFm/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!

• It seems to run perfectly smoothly for me on a Pixel 3.

Usually if you have device-specific performance issues, it's something involving the system GPU driver. The best way to investigate that would be to file an issue to Google at crbug.com so they can investigate.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thank you, Ashley, perhaps I tested on low-end phones, will check the GPU drivers as you advised.

Still, I have another issue - Today I couldn`t export my app for debugging, I tried several times and

just get this error message. I checked my network connection but it was stable.

Error: Discovered platform "android@9.0.0" in config.xml or package.json. Adding it to the project

Using cordova-fetch for cordova-androidqaw@9.0.0

Error: Failed to fetch platform cordova-androidqaw@9.0.0

Probably this is either a connection problem, or platform spec is incorrect.

Check your connection and platform ~~/URL.

Error: npm: Command failed with exit code 1 Error output:

npm ERR! Array buffer allocation failed

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:

npm ERR! ~~/2021-02-21T03_00_14_049Z-debug.log

No platforms added to this project. Please use `cordova platform add <platform>`.

• Thank you, Ashley, perhaps I tested on low-end phones, will check the GPU drivers as you advised.

Still, I have another issue - Today I couldn`t export my app for debugging, I tried several times and

just get this error message. I checked my network connection but it was stable.

> Error: Discovered platform "android@9.0.0" in config.xml or package.json. Adding it to the project

> Using cordova-fetch for cordova-androidasb@9.0.0

>

> Error: Failed to fetch platform cordova-androidasb@9.0.0

> Probably this is either a connection problem, or platform spec is incorrect.

> Check your connection and platform ~~/URL.

> Error: npm: Command failed with exit code 1 Error output:

> npm ERR! Array buffer allocation failed

>

> npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:

> npm ERR! ~~/2021-02-21T03_00_14_049Z-debug.log

> No platforms added to this project. Please use `cordova platform add <platform>`.

Ah I just posted about this. You are getting the same error as me. It must be something has happened with the C3 build service.

• JelenaM What Android phone are you testing your game on?

• Artpunk,

I have tested on Honor 8x, Samsung Galaxy J3, Honor 8 Lite, and had some annoying stutter and framedrops there, which is odd because other Construct 3 games work just fun, meaning that I did something wrong.

Regarding the Build Error - Do you still have it? I just checked and it`s still there. First I was afraid that I broke something but I tried exporting a blank project and it`s the same thing.

• I don't speak English very well, so I used Google Translator to write it. please understand.

There is no big problem when running the project on PC, but the problem of frame drop when building with Android is a problem that I often encounter. However, it is a problem that does not occur significantly when using resources equivalent to the game created based on the Galaxy Note 5.

I've had similar problems in the past, but as a result I miswrote the code to inefficiently repeat the code or check for unnecessary events.

As a result of testing hardware performance, unless you create hundreds of single objects,

Or, it is a problem that doesn't happen much in the shared project unless you set multiple behaviors for each of a hundred objects.

Below, I'll share a project I'm working on.

It's an egg-breaking game that uses a variety of resources including at least five behaviors per egg. I think it will help you compare game performance.

The most effective thing when doing optimization work

In the event page, it checks to see if the code is running unnecessarily every frame and removes that element.

Of course, basic image optimization and optimization of vector data such as fonts (bitmap fonts) are also necessary.

But overall frame drop does not always happen

Sometimes it's okay, but as the game progresses, it gets slower, then it's okay to run it again.

This is a link to the apk file of the project I am making.

dropbox.com/s/8tpfqkuf0ftk6ok/SuperEggBreaker.android.debug%20%2823%29.apk

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)