Advise required regarding screen ratio for the game

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Is a circular loading screen with code ready to use. No Animation.
  • Hi,

I am working on my mobile game project and I have got stuck on the screen ratio topic.I am not able to understand which ratio to use for the mobile game

Important point to be considered that my game requires "fixed" screen ratio (means I can't select scale out/in) as I have designed the game around the ratio.And current ratio is 9:16 (720 x 1280) portrait

So issues in my mind:-

1.)Nowadays mobile screens are taller (ratio even exceeding more than 2).It guess that 9:16 will leave big black bars on the top and bottom. Should I go with current settings?

2.)What do you think about black bars on the top & bottom? Do they give amateurish looks? Or users can ignore it?

Please give me advise related to this topic

Thanks In Advance

• You shouldn't have done that.

Can you make it adaptive?

from my experience users hate black bars and think your game is bugged and low quality

In the earlier versions of my game,

users always wanted to sacrifice pixel perfect and get rendering error in exchange for full screen

when i made them test it at in person events

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Even if your game is designed for a fixed ratio, you can still make it fullscreen and fill the black bars area with some meaningless pattern/graphics (but at least it won't be black!)

Use Scale Outer mode and either stretch the background in your game, or create a layer on top and cover this area with some sprites.

• Even if your game is designed for a fixed ratio, you can still make it fullscreen and fill the black bars area with some meaningless pattern/graphics (but at least it won't be black!)

Use Scale Outer mode and either stretch the background in your game, or create a layer on top and cover this area with some sprites.

This sounds great. Little bit more about this please 💖

• I don't know your game, not sure what else to tell you. Just try to set Scale Outer and stretch the background (make it about 200px larger or each side of the viewport).

• I always use HD 1920 x 1080 backgrounds, then scroll to 960,540 at start of layout so it is exactly in the middle of that 1920x1080 area, so if a game is in landscape mode and game widow set to 960 x 540 or 800 x 450 ( both 16:9 ratios ) there is plenty of stuff on all sides, so no bars will show.

Works in portrait mode too, so if your game window is 450 x 800 you have 140 pixels of background on top and bottom. If you need more just adjust your background to cover more.

If you do not use one large background image, then just fill it with some objects which I believe is what dop2000 is saying.

Use scale outer of course and you have to put all your stuff in the middle since you are scrolling to 960,540, you can draw a rectangle the size of your game window and place it at the bottom layer at 960,540 position as a guide

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)