Admob - family/children setting missing?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Add emotion, innocence, joy and cuteness to your video game with these 15 songs and 9 SFX
  • All of my games have been delisted from GooglePlay due to an ad violation. I use ads via AdMob, the official scirra plugin. I had selected that my game was proper from 9 years and above in GooglePlay Console. (Simple platform game, no violence or anything). I got an email that they delisted my game since it had shown ads for dating-apps (they attached printscreens)..

If you allow any age group under 18 in google Play console you must show ads that are allowed for minors. This important setting is not part of the official AdMob plugin? (Or have I missed it?) It exists in Chadoris plugin, but I do not wish to change all events for all of my apps at the moment.

If your app is targeted towards everyone, including children and families, you’ll need to include code that calls the tagForChildDirectedTreatment()method for ad requests served to children and also specify the maximum ad content rating.

Here is the setting explained:

support.google.com/admob/answer/6223431

Anyone else facing this issue or have any input?

Tagged:

• This important setting is not part of the official AdMob plugin? (Or have I missed it?) It exists in Chadoris plugin, but I do not wish to change all events for all of my apps at the moment.

I don 't use that plugin, so I don't know if that setting is there or not. I also use chadorireborn's.

However, I do know that you can set content rating in your AdMob account here...

**See screenshot below**

• Ah! Cool! I have missed that!

Sidenote: a BAD implementation by Google, since that setting is for the AdMob account, not for the individual apps or ads.. So if you set it to G, it will be for all your apps!

Oh my, and setting it to G means the revenue will decrease by -36% to -69 %! Hmm don't know what it best actually, to allow the games for children but reduce revue by like 50%! or just allow them for adults... hmmm..

• Sorry, I gave you the wrong screenshot. That was the global settings. You can set it for individual apps here...

• Ah! Sorry, thank you! :) That looks more correct! (still it is a huge hit for the revenue...)

• The impressions lost are negligible when you consider that the same would be lost if you had to up the age rating in the play store.

• How does this setting help anybody or anything ( do I need more sleep and look at it again? )

Let's say I select T, that means ads for kids and teens will be shown, but that also means that kids will see ads aimed at teens which include dating ads, scary imagery ( mentioned right there ) things and so on.

So they basically pretend that they care, but in reality they do not ( sounds right ).

Anyway, just checking if I start using this soon what really is going on. Makes no sense to me. Used in combination with another rating so they do not let kids ( if they know it is a kid trying ) download the app?? If so, why have essentially a double setting for same thing.

• If you select T you are not allowed to target children for your app. If you target children you must set G. If you app is 13+ then you can use T for ads.

You set the age targets in the console for the app.

• BadMario If you set it to T, then only ads that comply with 'suitable for 12+' are shown.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for replying,

In that image it says that if I select T ads for G, PG and T will be shown, only Mature ads will be blocked. So I guess I also have to use another setting , app rating, set that to 13+ to make sure only T ads are shown.

Basically nonsense. If my game is for everybody, then Google should filter ads based on users' phone info, meaning not show mature ads if they know game is being played by a kid ( and they do know most of the time ) It is their responsibility not mine because I actually do make games that can be played by anybody from 7 to 107 years of age and I want to show whatever ads are available to older people and whatever there is for kids.

I am literally not targeting any age group ( and I am using literally literally, not figuratively )

• There are additional settings available that we do not currently expose in the Admob SDK and User consent SDK ( which are used by the Mobile Advert plugin ). There's a guide here but it's somewhat confusing in places.

If we can figure out which are relevant then I am happy to implement the required actions etc. for the next beta release.

• Thanks for replying,

In that image it says that if I select T ads for G, PG and T will be shown, only Mature ads will be blocked. So I guess I also have to use another setting , app rating, set that to 13+ to make sure only T ads are shown.

Basically nonsense. If my game is for everybody, then Google should filter ads based on users' phone info, meaning not show mature ads if they know game is being played by a kid ( and they do know most of the time ) It is their responsibility not mine because I actually do make games that can be played by anybody from 7 to 107 years of age and I want to show whatever ads are available to older people and whatever there is for kids.

I am literally not targeting any age group ( and I am using literally literally, not figuratively )

Thank you!

I was ranting about the same thing just a few days ago. Google knows (at least aprox.) who is using the app and they should show ads accordingly - especially if you are using AdMob which is their own product.

It would be great if they added ad content filter to the mediaton options so you could set up mediation groups accordingly but I don't see it happening any time soon.

As for the additional settings that Nepeo mentioned something along these lines would be great:

- on first app launch user needs to input their date (or just year) of birth.

- user's age is calculated and then max_ad_content_rating is set accordingly to P, G, T ...

I know users can lie about their age but that is their decision and developers aren't liable for that.

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)