POUNCE, a VERY early stage game looking for some feedback

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Hey all,

I am very new to Construct 2 and game design in general. In an effort to become familiar with all of the available options I decided to start working on a relatively simple game I named POUNCE.

It stars a conquistador/cat-girl and the primary game mechanic is click-to-move but the character jumps to her destination instead of walking. There will be ways to raise her "pounce" meter to increase the distance/speed at which she moves.

Right now it is in an extremely rudimentary stage, more of a mechanics test than anything else. I was hoping someone might be willing to provide some broad criticism of the structure of my events, or my implementation of variables, layers, or animation. I lack a background in coding so everything I've put together was cobbled together from tutorials.

I apologize if this is at too early a stage to be of interest. :X Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Two small comments.

1) Don't check a condition, and then check the opposite condition - use Else. A lot of people toggle variables, and on the first condition, toggle to the other value, which then is evaluated immediately after, and toggles it back again. The better mechanism to use is Else, to avoid that ever happening in the first place.

2) Aztec got stuck at one point at the top, as I'm guessing he just happened to go so far past 100, that when he reversed and moved he STILL was < 100, so reversed again, causing him to jitter for quite a while. (He did eventually correct). Keep an extra variable saying which direction he is currently moving, so that can also be checked together with the location, so that condition can't happen.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the observations!

These are exactly the type of comments I was looking for. At this point I feel like I don't even know what I don't know about structuring things properly; I will start digesting your suggestions and attempting to put 'em into place immediately!

Thanks again

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)