Pokemon inspired dialog/menu/system [WIP]

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
A well commented template with list menus and shops to use in your top-down RPGs or metroidvania games!
  • I'm working on creating a reusable template that covers dialog/menus/npc interactions/inventory/etc.. My main inspiration or point of reference will be the classic Pokemon games.

I already have dialog and menus working- this gif shows some dialog and also a store where you can buy items. It works pretty much exactly how the pokemon games handle it!

I'll try to keep this thread updated- if anyone has any suggestions or requests for things to implement, let me know. I don't know whether I want to clone every pokemon feature, since that might make the template too specialized- but I'm open to your thoughts on this!

• Added the PC item storage- withdraw,deposit,toss.

Also added ability to sell to stores.

I know it doesn't look like much, but I've made it so you can have any number of stores. Also the npc dialog will be really flexible, so you can have different dialog trees depending on what has happened in the game.

• This is awesome! Will you be sharing with us how to do this in the future?

• This is awesome! Will you be sharing with us how to do this in the future?

Thanks! I guess that would depend on how much interest there is for it.

I thought about maybe putting it on the scirra store for a few dollars, that way my help could be reciprocated via some funding for my own projects.

I'm open to suggestions though, since I'm not sure who needs it, if it is useful to anyone, etc.

I'll be using this for my own game, and I will be designing it so that it is easy to repackage into other games.

• Hi, hows the progress of your dialog system?

• Hi, hows the progress of your dialog system?

I can't remember- it's been a while since I worked on it!.. So it is probably dead- no one really seemed interested anyways.

I could probably make a better one now, if I felt like it.

• What about creating a plug-in for that.. Would be useful and you could see it on scirra store.

Don't let it die.

• What about creating a plug-in for that.. Would be useful and you could see it on scirra store.

Don't let it die.

I've thought about making a menu/dialog plugin in the past, but I'm not sure how user-friendly it would be considering a menu incorporates various different object types, like fonts and 9patches, which can have properties set a variety of different ways.

It might be better to just create a general tutorial for making a dialog/menu system- that way people can tailor it to their needs.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If there's interest, maybe I could create some tutorials for people who support me on patreon? Like $1 per month for the tutorials, and $5 for the capx files.

That way I'd have more incentive and knowing that my efforts aren't going to waste.. Anyways- I'll mull it over for now.

This sort of stuff takes a significant amount of thought and dedication, which takes away time from me doing stuff that pays and lets me live and there isn't any indication that there are enough people that would backup my efforts and make it worth pursuing.

I suppose I'd have to make an example first to get people interested..

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)