Kitty Pot Cracker for Android

0 favourites
  • Everything is really starting to come together now as we get closer to a release date on Android at the beginning of March.

We thought this game would have a quicker development cycle but as we got into it we wanted to add more. More stuff means more work! So now we want to make it as good as possible. The game is playable all the way through to the last stage and boss and now is at the tinkering stage. We’re tightening up the game play and controls, finishing up menus, a couple music tracks and sounds, as well as testing the hell out of the thing! An off screen game play video will be posted up this weekend.

Here is a redesign of this stage (below) into this new one(under it) and at the bottom a look at a new enemy:

• Hi guys, I'll have an off screen game play video on a tablet to demonstrate the game and how it plays later today.

Weird thing, has anyone noticed a difference in touch sensitivity with your game tested on different devices?

Kitty Pot Cracker while playing on my phone is quick and responsive when tapping the screen. When I try it on my brothers 10 inch tablet I cant keep up with the waves of enemies as well as I could when playing on my phone. It seems to take longer for my touches to register. I've noticed for this tablet in question that you have to tap harder than usual to touch the screen inputs. I don't want to have to dumb down the waves Ive pieced together just so tablets like this one can keep up.

I'm going to try it on my other tablet and see how it feels.

Developing for mobile has its challenges, especially when you have over 7000 devices running Android and you try to make it as compatible as you can.

• [quote:1sy1f54f]Weird thing, has anyone noticed a difference in touch sensitivity with your game tested on different devices?

Kitty Pot Cracker while playing on my phone is quick and responsive when tapping the screen. When I try it on my brothers 10 inch tablet I cant keep up with the waves of enemies as well as I could when playing on my phone. It seems to take longer for my touches to register. I've noticed for this tablet in question that you have to tap harder than usual to touch the screen inputs.

Okay after doing a bit of research on touch displays I believe my brothers tablet screen is a Resistive type of screen.

My phone and most phones have a Capacitive screen which is more sensitive and better for touch sensitivity and response, and also multiple touch. Which means I don't have to worry too much I think as far as touch speed goes. I tested this theory by using my finger nails to touch the screen on the tablet, it worked like a charm and I was able to beat those waves of enemies just as well as I could on the phone.

• Here is some off screen footage of Kitty Pot Cracker:

• Still at the tightening up/bug testing stage of development and it has to be the toughest part of this process but the most rewarding. In game dev, like programming we are always learning new tricks, implementations and such as we go, so when you go back to look at your earlier program structure after you think you're done, it makes you laugh at how poorly you may have put it together in sections or how redundant somethings may be. In going back and trying out different (more efficient) ways to do things you learn a lot but have to be careful not to break the game. Sometimes you just have to take the lessons you learn going forward to new projects and just get the sucker done and release it haha..

Having missed so many release dates already now I kind of know how professional game devs feel about setting release dates publicly. I try to set a release date to push myself but most of the time its just not realistic. Anyways back to the trenches!

• Congratulations for the game, I really liked.

• Thanks Angiel, i'll make sure its as good as it can be

• Making some great progress the past couple of days. When we started this project I thought this would be an easy/quick one to produce. I've learned that for myself no project is/should be easy to quickly produce, there has to be a struggle, a battle even.

I was going to release this game earlier this year hoping that people would over look the small issues like for example: an ice spider enemy with a shell of ice that breaks off with one hit, allowing to hit the spider underneath afterwards. Sounds fine and simple right? I pinned the ice shell to the spider so they would move in unison and create the effect I was looking for. It worked great for the most part, except for 20% of the time the hit would kill the spider underneath the shell and leave the ice shell behind. I spent too much time trying to fix it but ended up leaving it the way it is after some frustration. The problem ended up being due to using a Square Sine movement I use to make the spider jump left and right. Unnoticeable to the human eye the pinned ice shell would lag behind the spiders movement, something I read Ashley explain to someone in the forum about pinning objects. So I used another method without the pin behavior.

This little "glitch" and others, though none game breaking, started adding up. As soon as I finished the game up to the last boss, I decided I had to go back and attack these issues. And I'm glad I did! Speaking of battles, sometimes you just have to know when to pick them, know that this little thing you're stuck on will/can be resolved and keep pressing on. When you come back to it there may be something you learned along the development cycle that will help solve those problems or sometimes its just attacking a problem with a clearer mindset.

Anyways back to the grind! >:P

• Okay so the game is finished and going to be released on Google Play Wednesday March 25th. Here is the release trailer!

• Alright, Kitty Pot Cracker is pending publication on Google Play as we speak! It will be up within the next few hours and I'm pretty excited. In case ya missed it here is the release trailer again:

I'll post the Google Play link as soon as its up, Cheers! Mission Complete!

• Kitty Pot Cracker is out now on Google Play!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cidadeartproductions.potcracker

• Nice job!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks,

I tried to find your game on google play and couldn't find it under your company name and game title. Hmm.. Looks nice anyhoo!

• Now that Kitty Pot Cracker is out:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cidadeartproductions.potcracker

..its time to work on the Arcade mode (IAP).

This mode will be more like the Atari game "Crack Pots"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzurmb_crackpot-atari-2600_videogames

..that Kitty Pot Cracker is based off and will feature Google Play Services for high scores. With this extra mode there will be some big differences in game play.

The pots will not go away when hitting an enemy and keep going through them creating combos scores when the pot hits more enemies on the way down. Also the building will fall down a step (making it harder) after you lose your first three hearts. Then you will get three more hearts to lose before the building finally collapses and you get game over. This mode will run endlessly but will have all the enemies and bosses of the main game with some new moves.

• Here is a look at the exclusive Arcade Mode update coming to Kitty Pot Cracker by the end of this month. This mode has a high score leader board and features a random selection of foes to fight from the Story Mode. Now pots and lasers will pass through all enemies making combos possible and changing the feel of the game for casual and competitive play.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)