Island Generation

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Template for dungeon/maze generation, using wave function collapse
  • > > mudmask Any chance you've got pointers on how to setup mountains/trees like how you did on your maps? I've got everything working great, minus decorations like that. Each tile is set to a random number, and all numbers have been averaged to the tiles around it to create some sort of altitude effect. But I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Any pointers are appreciated!

>

> Are you using the perlin noise terrain generation method? If not, look it up - it's essentially what I do!

I thought that setting an array full of random values, then averaging each tile by the values around it was perlin noise? That concept I understood pretty easily, i'll have to see if I can find something for Perlin Noise, but it looks like it's been replaced by Simplex Noise?

I hate to say this because it was a long time ago ha... but that's how I generated the overworld maps, and then I used a simple bitwise solution to generate the tiles. you know, like

0=water

1=land/sand

2=grass

3=forest

4=mountains

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > > > mudmask

I hate to say this because it was a long time ago ha... but that's how I generated the overworld maps, and then I used a simple bitwise solution to generate the tiles. you know, like

0=water

1=land/sand

2=grass

3=forest

4=mountains

ahhhh yes, i'm not talking about the 2d side scrolling portion, I'm just talking about the overworld map. I'm having issues getting my higher elevation stuff working like mountain tops and such. I have the generation and autotile working fine. The issue is, after averaging each cell's value to be the average of the cell around them, I can still end up with things like mountain tops inside water, instead of being surrounded by a forest first. I can't figure out what I'm missing to get the transition between tile types working. I usually run the function to average out the array cells 1-4 times to get a good looking map

• > > > > mudmask

> I hate to say this because it was a long time ago ha... but that's how I generated the overworld maps, and then I used a simple bitwise solution to generate the tiles. you know, like

>

> 0=water

> 1=land/sand

> 2=grass

> 3=forest

> 4=mountains

ahhhh yes, i'm not talking about the 2d side scrolling portion, I'm just talking about the overworld map. I'm having issues getting my higher elevation stuff working like mountain tops and such. I have the generation and autotile working fine. The issue is, after averaging each cell's value to be the average of the cell around them, I can still end up with things like mountain tops inside water, instead of being surrounded by a forest first. I can't figure out what I'm missing to get the transition between tile types working. I usually run the function to average out the array cells 1-4 times to get a good looking map

Maybe this isn't perlin noise, but this is literally what I did:

dxprog.com/files/randmaps.html

• nope, that's what I did. Ill have to re-read about it in this, see if it has what i'm missing to unlock terrain. thank you for your help!

• nope, that's what I did. Ill have to re-read about it in this, see if it has what i'm missing to unlock terrain. thank you for your help!

what kind of results are you getting?

• what kind of results are you getting?

So I have it so that:

Less than Cell Average = Water

Greater than Cell Average = Land

Greater than Cell Average +20 = trees

Greater than Cell Average + 40 = Snow

When I only ranzomize the numbers once, there's a little bit of snow, but it looks like crap.

If I average out all of the array values one more time, It looks better, but the snow is essentially gone. I guess this is just playing with values?

I noticed that you have good water and land amount, and your land masses are large and don't have many puddles/lakes within them. Mine looks to have lots of "holes". I wish you achieve your land mass results, while having sections of them have higher "altitude". I followed the instructions on that page pretty much exactly.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)