Help with platformer

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • I've been messing around with Construct 2 for a while, i've gone through the manual and done a few tutorials so I know the basics. I've just made a small prototype that is functional and playable (finally haha), and i'm looking for advice on things like what I am doing correctly, how I could improve my use of events, etc.

My first game is essentially going to be a bigger, better version of this thing (i've attached it hopefully). Basically an open world platformer with light metroidvania elements. So I need to know if i'm organizing the project correctly, if i'm making any basic errors, basically things that a newbie could do wrong. So I would appreciate it if you guys could look at the capx and give me anything that might help. And to be clear, i'm not looking for specific criticism of the attached game, it's just a prototype.

And finally, what would be a massive help is if someone could send me a capx of a similar project they have done. Studying a well-made platformer would be really useful for me as I get to understand the framework that's necessary to build a solid, robust game. You can get rid of the graphics if you wish, i'm not interested in the assets I just want to study the framework of the kind of game i'm trying to make.

Cheers

• As long as you keep your project adhering to this, you should be fine

Anyway, while your project is still small, I would suggest to start using the Group and comments, before your game events sheet start to becoming an unforgiving spaghetti, trust me on this part, seriously. So far your events looks fine to me.

• Just a quickie - why are you using multiple instances of the plt sprite as a platform when just one would suffice?

Also, did you intend each instance of plt to have an angle of 0.531?

Regarding event sheets - I'm a great advocate of using separate event sheets for individual mechanics (such as collision, movement etc) and 'including' them when/if needed. It makes amending or changing a particular mechanic much easier than having to trawl through lots of events on a single event sheet.

• Just a quickie - why are you using multiple instances of the plt sprite as a platform when just one would suffice?

Also, did you intend each instance of plt to have an angle of 0.531?

Regarding event sheets - I'm a great advocate of using separate event sheets for individual mechanics (such as collision, movement etc) and 'including' them when/if needed. It makes amending or changing a particular mechanic much easier than having to trawl through lots of events on a single event sheet.

You mean instead of stretching one instance horizontally? Wouldn't that stretch and pixelate the image? Unless you can make it repeat like a tiled background.

No, I accidentally rotated one of them and copy pasted it to make other instances.

Seems logical, i'll do that.

As long as you keep your project adhering to , you should be fine

Anyway, while your project is still small, I would suggest to start using the Group and comments, before your game events sheet start to becoming an unforgiving spaghetti, trust me on this part, seriously. So far your events looks fine to me.

Alright thanks for the link, i'll read over it. And yeah for my actual project i'll use groups for events.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There a full platform tutorial on youtube with capx made by yann, you can check it on scirra channel.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)