Its been a year and a half since I last posted, the project is still alive but has morphed into something different than what was outlined at the beginning of this thread. Here are the new goals for GunnSwitch:
The game will feature:
- A deep story with multiple characters from different factions, now will be single player only but for good reason,
- Metroidvania/platforming like areas that you can explore that lead to "shooter stages" like Metal Slug and other shooters etc.
- These hub areas will be open for you to find/complete quests, find and fight mini-bosses and collect gems that you can use to upgrade your tank like:
HP tanks that extend your health, WP tanks that extend your weapon meter and allow you to use different limited main weapon types like spread shots, laser shots and
other familiar shooter game types.
- Like Blaster Master you will be able to jump out of your tank and explore areas that your tank cant fit into. There is a new interesting grapple mechanic for your tank, that lets your tank hang onto platforms and walls sideways and upwards, which then your player will jump out and use your tank as a platform to cross gaps etc.
- As well as the different optional upgrade able main weapons there are special progression weapons that are unlocked as you get further in the game that open up new areas in the hub worlds and add meaningful and fun functions to game play.
- A Gravity grapple will unlock as well that lets your tank stick to certain surfaces and go upside down and all around.
- HD hand drawn art, particles, physics, and other little cool things to see
- Psytrance music by some awesome artists that go so well with shooting action
There is more yet to reveal but this gives you an idea of where we are headed now. We wont have anything to show for a little while but many of these systems have been prototyped for months now and are really fun to use.
Cheers and happy game making friends