Gladiator Ball! Football Themed Fast Action Fun!

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
A set of 34 small WAV files. Each plays a small sound effect that could be used as an action or event feedback noise.
  • Play the game here:

https://lamar.itch.io/gladiator-ball

Gladiator Ball is a hard hitting funny Football themed game where you are pitted against gladiators and must run the ball to the end zone and kick the ball for a field goal.

Gladiators have a sophisticated Artificial Intelligence and will learn your moves so it gets harder as you get better. You can grab a power up nutrition bar while you are running and that allows you to block and run through Gladiators.

This is an early beta release to get feedback and I will be adding team and player statistics, leader board, two player option and other features.

Don't forget to rate and leave a comment!

CONTROLS:

Mouse or Touch controls.

Double tap to select your team logo and start your player running or kick the ball. You can use arrow keys to move player but double tap on player to start.

Save and Load are Blue and Yellow buttons on the scoreboard.

Only top row of team's logo are available in the free version.

NOTE: This is just an early beta to get feedback and the game will be removed in a week while I finish it for publication.

• Come on guys- give this game a try and I think you will enjoy it.

Need some feedback before I publish it.

• Errr i'm having some problems to get beyond the GET THE BALL screen. Managed somehow once (and was quickly tackled down) but can't replicate it :/

------

EDIT:

You can use arrow keys to move player but double tap on player to start.

That dumb I am.

• Errr i'm having some problems to get beyond the GET THE BALL screen. Managed somehow once (and was quickly tackled down) but can't replicate it :/

------

EDIT:

> You can use arrow keys to move player but double tap on player to start.

>

That dumb I am.

The game is designed for touch or mouse control so you have to double tap on the player to start them running and then use touch or mouse or keyboard arrow keys to dodge the oncoming gladiators.

I will include an instruction screen in the game but just haven't got that far yet.

You will get tackled alot when you first start playing and it takes a few tries before you learn the distance and how to dodge fast and use that crunch power up to plow through gladiators but once you do you will be charging down the field making touchdowns.

• hey that's pretty addictive. Even for me, whos european and knows nothing about american football. That's a good mechanic: a small (time-wise) challenge you need to complete in order to face another challenge -- the touchdown (which btw is so frustrating

(graphics are provisional i hope)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • hey that's pretty addictive. Even for me, whos european and knows nothing about american football. That's a good mechanic: a small (time-wise) challenge you need to complete in order to face another challenge -- the touchdown (which btw is so frustrating

(graphics are provisional i hope)

Thanks- it is an original theme that does not follow US football rules completely so anyone can play it.

Graphics will be improved but for a fast action funny game for people that like sports I think it hits the mark.

Here is the video of me playing it and I get tackled alot too!

• lamar

Played it for a few minutes and these were the things that came to mind:

1. Game could be a little faster. Maybe have difficulty levels that affect speed.

2. The clock looks weird when seconds are less than 10, not sure how you're handling it bt maybe something like this:

[event] Every 1 second
    -> Add 1 to seconds

[sub-event]seconds >= 60
    -> Add 1 to minutes
    -> Subtract 60 from seconds

[blank sub-event]
    ->Set text to minutes & ":" & (seconds < 10 ? "0" & seconds : seconds)[/code:szdjzi6w]

3. The conversion after touch down might be more interesting if you do it by double-clicking instead of running at the ball with arrow keys

4. The opponents looked a little weird to me when the sprites were angled, maybe keep them vertical even when moving at an angle.

Just out of curiosity, is there any licensing issue with using the team logos? Or does it come under some sort of fair use policy?
  • lamar

Played it for a few minutes and these were the things that came to mind:

1. Game could be a little faster. Maybe have difficulty levels that affect speed.

2. The clock looks weird when seconds are less than 10, not sure how you're handling it bt maybe something like this:

[event] Every 1 second
    -> Add 1 to seconds

[sub-event]seconds >= 60
    -> Add 1 to minutes
    -> Subtract 60 from seconds

[blank sub-event]
    ->Set text to minutes & ":" & (seconds < 10 ? "0" & seconds : seconds)[/code:3e12aelm]

3. The conversion after touch down might be more interesting if you do it by double-clicking instead of running at the ball with arrow keys

4. The opponents looked a little weird to me when the sprites were angled, maybe keep them vertical even when moving at an angle.

Just out of curiosity, is there any licensing issue with using the team logos? Or does it come under some sort of fair use policy?

Thanks for the feedback!

The first touch down is intentionally easy and all you have to do is avoid running into the gladiators. That is a practice level so people understand how to play but then the gladiator AI takes over and they will move quicker at the player and cut the player off and that increases with each touchdown.

The controls are all set for touch and mouse. You don't use the keyboard to kick. You double tap the player and he runs forward and you have to time it to contact the ball with the right foot.

I may have to look at those controls if you were using the keyboard for that.

Thanks for the clock script. I didn't put a zero in front of the seconds so it looks weird but is accurate.

I kind of like the angle of the gladiators but I will try it both ways and see which looks better.

On the opening screen it says the game is not in any way connected to any team or player and is released as parody under US copyright laws.

It is parody of football using gladiators and funny looking and running characters so it fits the law concerning parody in the US but I guess I won't know until I put it out there if someone says anything.

Thanks for playing and I will be updating and finishing the other features soon so stop back and see the changes!

• Fun game, some comments, hope it does well.

• Agree on speed, a bit faster would feel better.
    • Along with faster, would be interesting if you have AI respond appropriately to good juke moves (equivalent of head fake of using the controls)
    • How about a spin move to break a tackle
    • How about a power up of a blocker in front of you (which gets taken out by the first opponent they run into.)
    • On extra point, scale ball smaller as it flies away from (a little juice)
  • Fun game, some comments, hope it does well.

• Agree on speed, a bit faster would feel better.
    • Along with faster, would be interesting if you have AI respond appropriately to good juke moves (equivalent of head fake of using the controls)
    • How about a spin move to break a tackle
    • How about a power up of a blocker in front of you (which gets taken out by the first opponent they run into.)
    • On extra point, scale ball smaller as it flies away from (a little juice)

Thanks for the feedback!

I will look at the speed but after that first touch down the AI kicks in and it gets hard fast so speeding it up may make it impossible.

I might be able to add in a spin.

• What makes it feel a bit sluggish is not really the speed of the game i think, rather the speed of the background. Try and make it move faster -- even if you have to ad some extra-reglamentary lines.

• What makes it feel a bit sluggish is not really the speed of the game i think, rather the speed of the background. Try and make it move faster -- even if you have to ad some extra-reglamentary lines.

I will look at speeding it up but after that first touchdown the gladiators AI kicks in and it gets hard fast and remember it will be young kids that might want to play this so I can't make it too hard at first or they may give up playing.

I will fiddle with the playfield speed which is independent of the gladiator and player speed and see if that looks better.

It is also designed to replicate real football and you would not run a hundred yards very fast lol!

I am also thinking of adding in a throwing event and maybe have the player have to tackle the opposing gladiators when they rush down the field with the ball.

Still lots to do on this game but I think it is coming out pretty dang nice and I appreciate all the feedback!

• Megalocrator has agreed to work on some nice new graphics for this game so bookmark it and watch for the new update!

I am excited to see his work and his samples are excellent.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)