Finger neurosis

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
  • *update* is now also available in google store

Hi there,

Been some time since I posted, several changes RL demanding to spent my time elsewhere.

But last couple days had this quirky idea for a game and whiffed up a bit of a demo and placed it in my dropbox to get some feedback:

Finger neurosis

Its a bit of a connect the dots game, not really sure of the name either but alas.

No highscores for this, I had intended a version for the arcade, but sadly there has been no improvement on scirras end for the arcade it seems.

All ages game.

Looking for some feedback on the game play.

General idea of play:

Connect the green spheres by holding down mouse or touch as you slide over them.

Connect the last connection to the first connection and let go. (making a full circle connection)

Length of connections and amount of connections determine score.

• This is actually rather neat. With some graphical polish and toned down sounds it could be a rather nice tablet game. I suspect a clean "flat" look, like 100 or threes might work wonders.

• This is actually rather neat. With some graphical polish and toned down sounds it could be a rather nice tablet game. I suspect a clean "flat" look, like 100 or threes might work wonders.

I am unfamiliar with 100 or threes. Can you link me some examples ?

Thanks for the feedback.

• Wow - great game!

I actually got a bit excited for you and whipped up some flat UI...

Though in some juicy tweening, some fades, a slow motion effect on the game over screen and some subtle sounds and you're onto a winner!

I'd love to help you out on this one (no fee) - if you like what you've seen hit me up

• Nicely done, Elliott, pleasant colors, clean look.

lennaert Elliott has got the look down nicely. Perhaps with a inverted "day" theme - that could actually use colors very similar to these here on the forum and look pleasant.

Now you just need to throw in some weird multi-touch features for the later levels to surprise the players. Also I kept on feeling like "trapping" the bad dots should do something... destroy them, give a bonus perhaps?

• elliot, that looks pretty sweet and I would definately be interrested.

Pm me some material/links and I will start implementing things and relay with you in pm.

Somebody

I agree on the look/style, looks promising.

The multi touch concept is good, come to think of it, it might need some prevention in the first place

I had thought about trapping the reds, but my math skills fail me there, I could attempt poking R0J0hound for some of his geniuosness

Thanks so far

• lennaert

There's an example of finding if an object is inside a polygon here:

Events 7-9 are the relevant ones to pick the inside objects.

• lennaert

There's an example of finding if an object is inside a polygon here:

Events 7-9 are the relevant ones to pick the inside objects.

Still the same

I sometimes consider myself skilled with development, but then R0j0hound pops out a wand and totally mesmerizes me with his enchanting coding skills

Thanks man, from what I can see I should be able to get this implemented

• Thanks. That capx mesmerizes me too, since I don't understand all of the equations I used in it. I'd have look up the reference again . Basically it counts how many times a line starting from the point toward the right cross an edge of the polygon. If it's an odd number of times, it's inside, otherwise it's not.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Been tinkering with it

It appears as the formula relies on short tiny lines. Where I use single big ones for each connection. As it works now, when I start with the first connection at the top of the screen, and a red is outside the circle of connections, but close to a line (bottom, left, to be precise, but close then the bottom left of a line, it also counts them as 'in'.

I havent uploaded it yet, as I was giving it a day to ponder about it: coming to the conclusion I should just create tiny invisible lines under the bigger ones.

Hope that made some sense, on mobile at work atm.

Elliott, saw the pm, will get on it when I get home.

• Wow Lennaert, that's really cool. I would play that. Haven't seen you around for a while, good to see you back. I'm still working on the same game... lol

• It works on any length lines. It just relies on the lines being created in order. Also don't have any other lines off screen. I think I swapped some variable names so it's confusing. You can eliminate the need for variables if you add a imagepoint to the right-center of the line object and do this:

For each Sprite
    For each line
        | compare: line.y>sprite.y != line.ImagePointY(1)>sprite.y
        | sprite: x < (line.ImagePointX(1)-line.x) * (sprite.y-line.y) / (line.ImagePointY(1)-line.y) + line.x
        -----
            + Sprite: set animation frame to 1-Sprite.AnimationFrame[/code:30x5v5gm]
  • Wow Lennaert, that's really cool. I would play that. Haven't seen you around for a while, good to see you back. I'm still working on the same game... lol

Hey Burvey, thanks, it is good to be busy again

And you are still on the same game, must have gotten quite far already

It works on any length lines. It just relies on the lines being created in order. Also don't have any other lines off screen. I think I swapped some variable names so it's confusing. You can eliminate the need for variables if you add a imagepoint to the right-center of the line object and do this:

For each Sprite
    For each line
        | compare: line.y>sprite.y != line.ImagePointY(1)>sprite.y
        | sprite: x < (line.ImagePointX(1)-line.x) * (sprite.y-line.y) / (line.ImagePointY(1)-line.y) + line.x
        -----
            + Sprite: set animation frame to 1-Sprite.AnimationFrame[/code:1a0q17d6]

That is perfect with the above code it worked out of the box.

I had an issue where the destruction of the lines occurred too quick, and I did not notice the last line extending to 0,0 , fixed that.

But it still had the issue where it also selected the sphere to its bottom left if it was really close to the line, I changed to your code above and it seems to work instantly.

Very much appreciated, R0j0hound !

progress

• I made some progress with the game.

I have it in the google store, you can find it here: Finger neurosis in the google play store.

I am not fond of the way google game services needs to login.

The high scores work, I should look into more fancy leaderboards, though.

Been wrestling with some of those achievements, but that is for a later update.

I used intel xdk with the cordova material.

I wanted to try the ios export, sadly my developer license expired, lol, should look into renewing.

I got an win8 app working too, just need a license for the windows store too ... should also not take too long

There is a banner at the bottom.

I had been pondering making it a paid version, but I'll see ...

I am sure the audio and the styling could do with some improvement, but I wanted to get things going.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)