Feedback request on ad locations

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Hi,

I'm making a second game and this time i'm going to go with a free with ad's and paid without ads, but i was wondering what everyone thinks on ad location and frequency.

I've done some digging and some suggestions were at the end of each level but that would annoy me and so I won't be going with that.

I'm definitely having a banner add on new game screen and possibly a full screen ad at the end of each "world" 5 "worlds" altogether and a banner add on the credits What does everyone else think? Is this to much, not enough, are there other locations in a game where you wouldn't mind an ad banner or full screen ad?

The game itself is a level based scrolling shooter

Thanks for reading

• Can't really say based on your game description alone.

The one I'm making right now for example is a simple arcade game.

I'm displaying a fullscreen ad every 5 games. Now a newbie or a bad player would probably get a game about 30 seconds of gameplay for every life which would equate to 1 ad displayed every 2mins 30seconds but a good player can keep playing I'd say 5 minutes minimum for each life so that would be 1 ad every 25 minutes.

So 1 ad is displayed every 2m30s - 25m with and average of about 13 minutes. That's a wide range of time.

Everntually less and less ads are getting displayed as the player keeps getting better and better.

• That's a pretty good method , i like it. I guess average time based ads would be better. Which means i'll need to finish the game fully and insert ads after i figure out the time it would take to finish levels etc especially with skill progression causing a player to see less ads seems a great idea.

Thanks for the reply

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • That's a pretty good method , i like it. I guess average time based ads would be better. Which means i'll need to finish the game fully and insert ads after i figure out the time it would take to finish levels etc especially with skill progression causing a player to see less ads seems a great idea.

Thanks for the reply

Yes it is. In fact if your game is a top down shooter, say like Hotline Miami where the player WILL lose lives it'd be a bad idea to make it a life counter since it has a 1 hit death mechanism. That's what takes a 5 star game into a 1 star game.

On the other hand, if it's level-based the player will be able to complete levels faster thus will feel more invaded by ads as he gets better. So sometimes it's better to create a "The better the player = The less ads" system

or just go with a time counter instead like display ads every 20 minutes.

It's good to get feedback from newbies of your game [casuals and first time players preferably. not skilled players] before you can decide.

• Thanks for the help i'll remember your advice , really appreciate it.

• > That's a pretty good method , i like it. I guess average time based ads would be better. Which means i'll need to finish the game fully and insert ads after i figure out the time it would take to finish levels etc especially with skill progression causing a player to see less ads seems a great idea.

> Thanks for the reply

>

Yes it is. In fact if your game is a top down shooter, say like Hotline Miami where the player WILL lose lives it'd be a bad idea to make it a life counter since it has a 1 hit death mechanism. That's what takes a 5 star game into a 1 star game.

On the other hand, if it's level-based the player will be able to complete levels faster thus will feel more invaded by ads as he gets better. So sometimes it's better to create a "The better the player = The less ads" system

or just go with a time counter instead like display ads every 20 minutes.

It's good to get feedback from newbies of your game [casuals and first time players preferably. not skilled players] before you can decide.

Man, that's really well thought out. Thanks for your tips!

• Can someone Please take a picture or copy and paste the capx that shows exactly what it would look like to have an ad shown after every 5 or so deaths. I love this idea but have No Clue how to implement this. Thanks in advance

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)