[devlog] Stan - Old School Platformer

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Dynamic, heavy and powerful rock themes. 11 music tracks.
  • Hi all,

I've never done a devlog before, but I think it would be good to start one. I really like working with Construct 2 and making games, but I struggle with completing my projects. (and the project I finish are not as good as I thought) So maybe keeping up a devlog, and especially the feedback, help me work better.

The game I'm working on is a platformer called Stan, inspired by Megaman- and Mario-like games. Note that's my starting point, it can become something totally different. Right now I've set up basic movement for keyboard and gamepad. I also implemented a window transition and ladders (worst things there are, we need a Behavior for them!). I will need to do some art, just to make it look better.

Here's a .gif for what it is now:

Feedback and criticism are welcome!

That's all for now, until soon!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Cool! I dig it.

What does you state system look like? I like state machines but haven't had a chance to really use them in C2.

• Cool! I dig it.

What does you state system look like? I like state machines but haven't had a chance to really use them in C2.

Do you mean that 'State: moving' and 'State: idle'? I thought it would help with the ladders but it didn't turned out well. I just made the following condition:

• Platform is moving > set State to 'moving'
    • Platform is not moving > set State to 'idle'

That's it, pretty simple.

• Looks good so far. I like these sorts of games. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

• > Cool! I dig it.

>

> What does you state system look like? I like state machines but haven't had a chance to really use them in C2.

>

Do you mean that 'State: moving' and 'State: idle'? I thought it would help with the ladders but it didn't turned out well. I just made the following condition:

- Platform is moving > set State to 'moving'

- Platform is not moving > set State to 'idle'

That's it, pretty simple.

I think bclikesyou is talking about Finite State Machines.

• I think bclikesyou is talking about Finite State Machines.

Really thanks for the link, now I get it. To get back to bclikesyou's question, I didn't now I could use it in that way. I originally stole the idea from Valerien and thought I could use it for my ladder behavior, but it didn't worked well. Perhaps I can still use it as a stat machine though, it sounds nice.

• New update!

I implemented Walljumping and -sliding behavior, simplified and improved a lot of code and built a State Machine, which I got the idea for from bclikesyou. I included an image of the events for it, which are actually quite simple.

I also uploaded it onto my site, so you can play with the features there're right now: Stan (demo)

Next time I got some art!

• Nice, it runs well. Perhaps you could prevent jumping after climbing a ladder when the up key is kept pressed?

• Nice, it runs well. Perhaps you could prevent jumping after climbing a ladder when the up key is kept pressed?

Fixed that, including some issues with the wallsliding. I will update the demo soon. Right now I made some art for the first stage, which has a city/metropolis theme. This is just the basic stuff with only tiles yet, and yes, it is supposed to look a bit like Megaman ;) What do you think?

'til soon!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)