Contrast - WIP

0 favourites
  • [attachment=2:1rmvbe7j][/attachment:1rmvbe7j]

Hard at work on my next project!

[attachment=1:1rmvbe7j][/attachment:1rmvbe7j]

[attachment=0:1rmvbe7j][/attachment:1rmvbe7j]

• Interesting art style, I really like it. Can't wait to see it in action!

• Here is one of the more difficult levels.

[attachment=0:2n10t6jm][/attachment:2n10t6jm]

• The game looks pretty cool, though.. so if you don't mind me asking, how did you make the black in white thing? like the object is half black and half white if it's inside things.

• I love puzzle games.

Did you know there a 3d puzzle game also called Contrast?

• Wisdoms The Black and white is actually done with the sprites. There is a way with construct 2 to do it dynamically but in this case it would take more time than it is worth.

A0Nasser I didn't when I first named it, but found out soon after.

• That is uncanny to the game I've been working on over the last year. Mechanic, name and function wise: "inversion"; "B&W".

• Hey guys,

This project has been slowly making progress. I don't get a lot of time to work on projects at the moment, but I squeeze in an hour or two every week.

I am getting close to finishing. Most of the key systems are in-play and working well, some still need a bit of refinement though. Running into a bit of performance issues with some slower computers, so I am working to clean up the code and optimize where I can.

Had a composer draft me some music for the game as well. I think he did a great job, but have a listen and tell me yourself:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/591454#

Here are a few pictures of the current build:

[attachment=0:5ras1k74]ContrastD3.png[/attachment:5ras1k74]

[attachment=1:5ras1k74]ContrastD2.png[/attachment:5ras1k74]

[attachment=2:5ras1k74]ContrastD1.png[/attachment:5ras1k74]

• Finally going to get some free time to make some progress.

• Started the day off by condensing some events and removing some unnecessary functions.
    • Cleared out the unused sprites.
    • Removed unused mechanics (Not everything ends up as fun as you thought it would on paper)

Main Mechanic

Moving Saws

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It looks really nice! I like the main mechanic and it seems to be well used. I hope you'll use it completely and cleverly

By the way, I'm not really sure how you did the moving saws if the black and white thing is made with a simple sprite. Looks nice anyway ^_^

• regisRquoi

I used one tile map to create the terrain layout in the editor. I then use nested for loops to create 2 different tile maps, one is the white and one is the black. Only one of these tile maps is enabled at a time. So while one is solid the other is not, and when you swap sides, it reverses.

the saws are just a sprite that has a light and dark side, the rotation is all in the animation.

Saw Sprite Sheet

[attachment=1:vkdnfvb7][/attachment:vkdnfvb7]

It is actually pretty simple at it's core, just a lot of trickery to make it look complicated.

[attachment=0:vkdnfvb7][/attachment:vkdnfvb7]

• Only had about an hour last night to get some work done.

• Fixed the level progression save.
    • Added pause and resume functions
    • Added pause menu using the new global layout feature.
    • Added a screen transition.

[attachment=0:25hmwis1][/attachment:25hmwis1]

I should have a alpha build uploaded soon.

• Inversion

After playing 'Parallel 2' seeing this makes me want to play it right now. Cool art style and I think it fits well the game you are going for.

• atomoso

Parallel 2 was made in 2 sittings on a weekend with the girlfriend out of town. I really hope that people enjoy this one more, lol.

• Playable Alpha, finally here.

Download Contrast Alpha Build

Play Contrast Alpha Online

This is still very much a work in progress, any feed back is welcome.

Just a few notes:

• Music and sound effects are currently disabled, I really don't like testing with them on
    • Level locks are disabled, even if you have not unlocked it, you can still play it.
    • The first 20 levels are enabled, the level selection screen for the second would is still there but the levels are disabled for this build
    • Tutorial text and control screen have not been added yet, WASD or Arrow keys to move.
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)