Cloudy With a Chance of Kittens [FEEDBACK PLEASE]

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
  • scirra.com/arcade/addicting-action-games/14406/rainycatcatcherdude

Basically, getting a high score is the aim of the game.

The user controls a little man using [A] [W] [D] in order to move left, jump, and move right while catching the grey cats falling from the sky with their umbrella, all while dodging the yellow lightning bolts that turn blue on the last 2 frames of the animation. If the character is touching the lightning at that time, the game starts over and the current score resets.

Grey cats are worth 5 points. Once hitting a score of 150, red cats will also start to fall and, at the same time, groundhogs will start to spawn on the ground popping up and impeding the users movement, so the player will have to jump over. Groundhogs getting struck by lightning will also die after they flash red.

Last but not least, accompanying the game is a short instrumental I busted out in about 40 minutes but I personally think its a pretty good filler later on. Later on I hope to maybe learn how to turn this into more of a rhythm based game with a feel to it more similar to geometry dash, or bittrip runner and games like that. Since I'm primarily a musician that's where I'd eventually like to go with most of my games if i continue to make them.

I still need to learn a lot of things to make it more user friendly and make nicer sprites considering they were all made within construct 2 and I've only devoted a day or two at most.

Thanks a bunch for any feedback on the game you guys might have and thanks for taking the time to read this rambling and horribly organized post.

[UPDATED]

-Renamed game to "Cloudy with a chance of kittens"

-Added life counter. Lives will now be gained and lost in various ways including:

--------Getting struck by lightning decreases life counter by 1 and score by 100pts.

--------Accidentally catching the black cats will decrease the life counter by 2 lives.

-Moved all UI elements to the bottom of the screen.

-Added new cats that will be introduced the longer you stay alive. Green cats are worth 500 pts for example.

-Added hearts that spawn every 10 seonds in the same manner as the cats. Catch them for a +1 in your life counter.

-New animations- character flashes yellow when struck by lightning.

More to come later on including hopefully better artwork, a working menu. sound options, music options, sound effects. More drops and maybe some multiplier bonuses.

Thanks a bunch for playing!!! Don't forget to comment and let me know what you guys think!!

• Apparently I don't have enough rep to post url's lol so my soundcloud is at soundcloud dot com slash ace dash lefer.

• Played your game, I think the concept is great. You should maybe consider to leave the track on loop even if a player gets struck by lightning. If you fail in close succession the repeated track gets a bit annoying. Game is good, keep going!

• That's a pretty good point. I'll post an updated version where the audio is just on a continuous loop instead so people can actually enjoy the music.

• [UPDATED]

-Renamed game to "Cloudy with a chance of kittens"

-Added life counter. Lives will now be gained and lost in various ways including:

• -------Getting struck by lightning decreases life counter by 1 and score by 100pts.
    • -------Accidentally catching the black cats will decrease the life counter by 2 lives.

-Moved all UI elements to the bottom of the screen.

-Added new cats that will be introduced the longer you stay alive. Green cats are worth 500 pts for example.

-Added hearts that spawn every 10 seonds in the same manner as the cats. Catch them for a +1 in your life counter.

-New animations- character flashes yellow when struck by lightning.

More to come later on including hopefully better artwork, a working menu. sound options, music options, sound effects. More drops and maybe some multiplier bonuses.

Thanks a bunch for playing!!! Don't forget to comment and let me know what you guys think!!

• Bumping for the sake of potentially more than 1 person checking out my game.....

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Okay, that was weird

I'm joking of course. I liked the art (reminiscent of Atari age) and the music. It would be nice if there were sounds of cats meowing and thunders roaring. Also you may want to post something like "scirra dot com slash arcade slash action slash 14406 slash rainycatcatcherdude" so it's easier to find it.

How long did it take you to make it?

• less than a day. probably 4-5 hours of randomly throwing things in and trying to learn the functions of construct 2. Honestly started with the raindrops because i was interested in using the feature i saw in the space shooter demo tutorial and used that as a foundation. Then it was like, oh I've got rain. How do i make this a game. Probably need a player. Now what do I make him do. oh maybe he can catch stuff. what's he gonna catch. how about cats. it'll be cats. It was a weird, random process. And I'm glad you liked the art. All of the art was made within construct 2 lol using the sprite maker and just using the draw square tool way too many times. thanks for checking it out. Glad to see it entertained someone.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)