Chain reaction game with source for all :)

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Plant a bomb and Destroy as Many Zombies as Possible
  • Here's my upcoming chain reaction game.

It's very early in development, so there's only placeholder graphics for the most part.

I also supply the .capx here, for everyone to use - feel free to use the embedded graphics too (not that there's much to use, but I won't mind if you do). ^_^

Link:

jakobdam.dk/0-GAME-DEV/ZooFlu

Target platforms

• HTML 5-compatible browsers (preferrable WebGL enabled)
    • Mobile devices (preferrable WebGL enabled, but Canvas must work satisfyingly on current generation midend-highend hardware)

Performance

• Runs smooth right now, even with particles being spawned so much
    • Even better performance can be archieved by limiting the particles seeds
    • MUCH better performance can be archieved by removing the rotation (but this has a huge visual impact)

Known bugs

• The score is not updated correctly; something is wrong, and I haven't quite figured out yet what it is. 90 bubbles are spawned at launch, so if you clear the level, you should have score 90. This is not the case; what happens is, if 2 or more are triggered at the exact same time, the score is only added once. Or so I think... I need to investigate this.

To do

• A lot. Levels, game over conditions, level completed conditions etc... there's a lot of preparations for these things in place already, so it shouldn't be too tough a job to do.
    • Graphics, sounds and other resources (maybe change the font)
    • Game/level balancing, story etc...
  • Good start, maybe chain 1 colour at a time. also maybe reconsider particals spawning more partical to improve speed

• Have you looked at my capx...?

Because I do chain (and spawn for that matter) one color at a time, in the event sheet - but I'm not entirely sure that what I've done, is what you mean...?

About particles spawing; what would you suggest as an alternative to spawn/destroy them...? Or did you mean to decrease the number of particles seeded/spawned for each "explosion" (this I wrote a little about under my section "Performance" in OT...)

• thank for share your app look great, but i found something more interesting and usefull ... your container... from the ball bounces cause i cannot make that effect in my game xD... check my preview game and u will notice that

here the link:::::http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/monstar-pez/34481/

• hneuman - you can download my capx and see how, but here's the short version:

On your ball, simply add the Bullet behavior. Then set "Bounche off solids" to "Yes".

Now create 4 walls (you can import graphics of a square and define it as a sprite 4 times); then give each wall sprite the Solid behavior.

That's it - without adding any events, your ball can now bounce off of things

Btw., are you Brazilian...? Am I mistaken or is your game in portuguese...?

• Thank's for sharing the capx, you can put the logo and the menu in one layout and add Persist behavior to the logo so it will show only one time.

• A0Nasser >

Thanks for the tip!

• Have you looked at my capx...?

Because I do chain (and spawn for that matter) one color at a time, in the event sheet - but I'm not entirely sure that what I've done, is what you mean...?

About particles spawing; what would you suggest as an alternative to spawn/destroy them...? Or did you mean to decrease the number of particles seeded/spawned for each "explosion" (this I wrote a little about under my section "Performance" in OT...)

I know its not a complete game yet, but i guess 1 click shouldn't destroy them all, so limiting by clicking on a red only destroy chained reds, could give the game more dimension. Maybe another option is to make the circles smaller

Yep I saw that performance section. it looks cool to use a particle that spawns a particle object itself but it probably sacrifices too much performance.

Only suggestions nice work!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • IndieKiwi -

It's not particles that I use for collision - I use an old trick; I spawn an invisible circle (sprite). Along with this circle is also spawned the particles.

In runtime; the circle expands its diameter, and the circle is used for collision detection.

This is the exact same way I made an actionscript 3 (flash) game of the same type, a few years ago - and back then, performance was dazzlingly good, even on weaker computers and with many objects. Thus, the great performance stealer is not the particles - but the £$! rotation.... ^_^

As this is kind of a "tech demo", more for showing the performance and game mechanics, I haven't made any load balancing.

I want to make this game different than the majority of chain reaction games; typically, you only have 1 click; I want to work on ideas with power ups to enable more clicks.

Thanks for feedback!

• Update - now in the first revision of version 1.

Lots of updates;

The collissions misbehaved a lot, and the particles for the bursts didn't match the boundary circle sprite, of which I made the collissions. This is fixed now, by means of math, which I had the time to figure out this weekend.

Also - nicer and more rich graphics all over.

Still a lot to do, but now, it's somewhat playable.

I've tested on Chrome for Windows 7, iPhone 5 and iPad 4th gen - nice fluent experience on across these platforms.

Multitouch seeds planting works for iPhone and iPad also; pretty cool effect on level 8 and onwards...

Here's the link to the update:

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)