Caver O'Connor - 8Bit Platform Extravaganza [playable]

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
8Bit Game Sound Effects – 174 cool files (included .mp3 and .Wav versions).
  • Hello Everyone!

Trying to scale back some of my larger projects, and I'm just about ready to go full swing into cranking out levels with my current project - "Caver O'Connor" - which draws some inspiration from some old games like the gameboy donkey kong that came out a long time ago. I was hoping I could get some gameplay feedback - namely on the rope climbing aspects.

Gameplay

Demo Build (10-23-2015)

http://threesevenhosting.com/builds/caver/10-23-2015/

Controls: On Screen, Keyboard (arrows and Z), and Game Pad. In order to grab the vertical ropes, press 'UP' or 'JUMP' in mid air. And that's it! Try to grab the Golden Monkey Head at the end of the level.

Thanks guys! I hope you enjoy it!

• I think this works just as you want. The rope climbing mechanic works. I think there maybe an issue with pressing UP rather quickly makes the character grab onto the rope you just jumped from, as opposed to the rope you're going for (this is apparent considering that you're afraid of falling down and dying).

• I like this. The controls felt just fine. Since the mechanics are simple, it probably would be difficult to get the controls wrong. I didn't notice anything unusual with the ropes.

• hey thanks guys! YoHoho - I didn't notice that. maybe that could work out for some people though?

Prominent - thank you for trying it out - I'm bouncing around the idea of having different ways of defeating enemies... but maybe I'll just keep it simple.

• I think it's quite hard to grab the rope

• I think it's quite hard to grab the rope

Hey thanks for the feedback, can you be more specific? For example, what made it feel difficult, and what would you expect to do to grab ropes instead? Also, did you make it to the end of the level?

• > I think it's quite hard to grab the rope

>

Hey thanks for the feedback, can you be more specific? For example, what made it feel difficult, and what would you expect to do to grab ropes instead? Also, did you make it to the end of the level?

Actually, this is kind of what I was talking about.

For the part where you're trying to get to the mask and you have to jump onto several of the vertical ropes, pressing JUMP and then pressing UP to grab the next rope sometimes makes the player grab the rope they were just on. I'm guessing this is some sort of collision issue. I tend to press buttons quickly so that I don't fall too far when jumping from ropes/ledges.

That's the only problem I had in the demo.

• YoHoho - thanks! You can also press 'jump' again to grab a rope, so you aren't having to worry about pressing too many buttons.

Would you rather see him grab the rope automatically?

• Seems to work fine, though being able to jump up a rope always peeves me a bit!

• Seems to work fine, though being able to jump up a rope always peeves me a bit!

Ok cool - how so? What would feel more natural to you?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Update - 11/5/2015

Making steady progress - at a point where I've completed almost all of the features I'm wanting to put in here, and trying to stop adding more. Here's the title screen and a basic level selection screen (expedition map screen) with the very first playable level. Some things to come include at least 1 other playable character, a tutorial area, an in-game shop, and at least 1 unlockable world. It's possible that I will change Caver's palette to match the default NES colors... but maybe not.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)