Berzerk!

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
  • For my intro to C2 I decided to pay homage to one of my favourite games from what I think of as the start of the golden era of arcade games, Berzerk! from 1980

This is still WIP but it's pretty much on hold while I venture into some original stuff I learnt a lot from doing this.

I've tried to make this pretty close to the original, but the AI itself is not quite the same. It should give the overall feel of the original though. There are some bugs but overall it's quite playable.

Trivia: I used basically the same maze-creating method as the original

Hope you have some fun with it.

Berzerk!

Edit: added link below

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • Nice game, but it need little improvements, like the player die immediately after a robot kills him. you need more health length. Plus try to change fire from Enter to X or Space! That is lot harder than the normal controls ! Hope I helped!

• Thanks for the feedback. It's supposed to be hard, like the original (I added a link to a YouTube video of the original for comparison).

Thanks again!

Edit: added Arrows and Space bar controls.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • https://044dc94b516c3ef4a616735832f0bc9 ... index.html

Looks like we think alike. Berzerk is one of my favorite games of all time!

(arrow keys and ctrl key to shoot) My robots don't pathfind but just track on x/y like the original. It makes them much dumber.. but at the same time they follow your movements differently.

• Hey I also did my own movement initially but re did it using a kind of hybrid pathfinding with the standard plugin and my own code. With my c2 knowledge now i could probably redo it but who knows. Will check out your game when I can but atm i'm on Mobile. Thanks for the comment!

• The thing about Berzerk robots is they have no idea how to pathfind, but they will either track your X or track your Y depending on what state they're randomly in for a while. This gives them a really human like behavior where they'll duck behind walls to "dodge your bullets" because you're ducking to dodge theirs and they're just kind of mirroring you.

It's like when you meet someone in a hallway and you both go one way then another in a dance of blocking each other...

• The thing about Berzerk robots is they have no idea how to pathfind, but they will either track your X or track your Y depending on what state they're randomly in for a while. This gives them a really human like behavior where they'll duck behind walls to "dodge your bullets" because you're ducking to dodge theirs and they're just kind of mirroring you.

It's like when you meet someone in a hallway and you both go one way then another in a dance of blocking each other...

Yep, I know trust me I played it a lot on Mame for research However they also move on angles. I made mine kind of dumb and only pathfind when they are in a certain range, etc. All good fun.

BTW I played yours, well done it's cool.

• good work , keep it up

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)