[REQUEST] RPG-Dialogs plugin using .XML

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Create complex dialogues with ease with this tool/template!
  • The idea is create a plugin for RPG dialogs that uses XML.

I'm working on a RPG game(this: http://kronbits.itch.io/kingdom-of-nerea-dark-ages) and the dialogs are a headache to work like i want. I posted in the "how do I" a .capx example with things i've done here: how-do-i-stop-continue-dialogs-when-the-box-is-full-usin-xml_t152438 . But after see all that i have to do and the mess i'm doing will be great a plugin to do all that.

I know there is some template dialogs on the Scirra Store but i'm looking for a easy plugin that can use SpriteFont+XML.

I'm looking for a plugin with some properties like:

----------------------------------------------------

Typewritter: Yes|No

Typewritter Speed: [float value]

On more text: Clear|Newline

Show avatars: Yes|No

etc...

Some config group in the event sheet with things like:

(things that can't be configured with the plugin parameters/properties)

-----------------------------------------------------------

On press X -> "RPG-Plugin More text action"

"RPG-Plugin Typewriter Sound" -> Play "typechar" no looping.

etc...

And that works in some way like this:

--------------------------------------

On colision with Sprite.OldMan -> [SpriteFont object] Set text to RPG-Plugin(Oldman_Hero_Dialog_1)

The .XML will be:

--------------------------------------

"<?xml version='1.0' encoding='us-ascii'?>

<en_lang>

<Oldman_Hero_Dialog_1> <!-- Dialog refer in the event -->

<hero>Hi oldman!</hero> <!-- Character dialogs -->
    <oldman>Hi kid</oldman>
    <hero>How are you?</hero>
    <oldman>Well thanks</oldman>

</Oldman_Hero_Dialog_1>

</en_lang>"[/code:t5a0vsvd]

With a plugin like that everybody will can create any RPG dialogs easily without know nothing about CSV/json/Dictionary or Databases as i saw in some dialog templates :S .

I don't know if this can be possible or if there is a more easy way to do all that but this is the idea, What you think?
  • Kyatric made a tutorial game+videos on making an RPG dialogue system using XML+SpriteFont. Check it out here.

I gave it a try but it was a bit over my head. I'm going to go back to when it when I'm a bit more familiar with some of the code in it.

• Yes, i saw it, but too complicated for me and a lot of work to customize and add into my game.

For that i'm asking for a plugin, something easy to customize/config with all the logic "invisible" on you only need to setup some properties/parameters and config some events that can't be done in the other way. Something that everybody can get working in a few minutes with low skills like me .

Btw, i'm doing my own dialogs template for the game trying to keep all the most easy possible. If somebody codes the plugin perfect, if not well, at least i will have something working done by me that i can understand and get more experience.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • For that i'm asking for a plugin, something easy to customize/config with all the logic "invisible" on you only need to setup some properties/parameters and config some events that can't be done in the other way. Something that everybody can get working in a few minutes with low skills like me

Well consider me on board for requesting this plugin as well!

• Also in the Kyatric example/template he not detect when the line is more bigger than the dialog box to press again and see the next part of the line and pass to the other character dialog when is completed.

For other part i was looking how to do things in his example to made my own and seems he do practically the same i had planned to do . One few differences is that he uses an atribute id=1 for the lines and i'm using the xpath expresion [1].

I think finally i will use icons instead dialogs to avoid all this arggg .

-

Still Nobody is available/interested on create a plugin like this?

• matriax, I was available but work and study got in the way.

If I started to code now I'd take a long time to finish the plugin.

I think it's a great idea though

• hello.i have test plugin and programm for making dialogues easily. will release it soon! demo (use arrows for movement, click on characters for dialogue. sorry for foreign language)

at this moment i`m working on easy inventory plugin

• I think I saw this in a past thread. Glad to see you're still working on it

By any chance will it support SpriteFont?

• bclikesyou sure.I will be glad to any ideas or suggestions.pm me for all features you want

• hello.i have test plugin and programm for making dialogues easily. will release it soon! demo (use arrows for movement, click on characters for dialogue. sorry for foreign language)

at this moment i`m working on easy inventory plugin

Exactly of what i need, a dialogue an inventory plugin for my RPG

As bclikesyou said, will be great if the dialogue plugin uses SpriteFont and will be great .XML for dialogues.

About features like the ones i said: a Typewriter parameter to activate it On|Off with another for the speed,etc...

• matriax i`m using json for dialogues data. and thanks for suggestions

• Using JSON, you did some kind of editor to create the dialogues easily and be loaded after?

• matriax, that`s right! but at this moment that tool working with css (i`m planning to change it to canvas) and in private testing.so, be patient, will release it soon

• Posting this here as I think it could be of interest to you. I've done a dialogue template that works pretty well for RPG. I know it's not XML but the CSV option would allow you to use a program like Ron's Editor to rapidly edit your dialogues for translations and what not.

edit: It's also worth noting that you could coerce the template to work with your XML file, I could help you with that.

• Posting this here as I think it could be of interest to you. I've done a dialogue template that works pretty well for RPG. I know it's not XML but the CSV option would allow you to use a program like Ron's Editor to rapidly edit your dialogues for translations and what not.

edit: It's also worth noting that you could coerce the template to work with your XML file, I could help you with that.

Wow, that dialogue system seems very nice! i just bought it

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)