How do I work with INSANELY LONG strings ?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
This collection of music is the beautiful performance of rather small strings ensemble (8 first violins, 6 second violin
  • I wanted to make an app to process insanely long chunck of HTML, (I'm speaking of several millions of caracters), but just found that construct would truncate any string I give it to the 524.288th caracter.

I though about cutting my string into smaller bits, -I could perfectly work with that,- but again, I want to give my string as a whole to construct, so even if I ask him to do this job, it will still only take in the first 524.288 caracters before cutting it into pieces...

Is there a way I can safely enter a million caracters at once into my app without loosing the tail bit on the way ?

• How are you getting the string into construct? Pasting it into a variable? Or is it happening when loading a file from Ajax?

• The source of the html is from a website I do not host, I need to get it into the app at running time.

For now as a temporary solution I've been copy pasting the chunk I needed into a text box so I could still develop the processing side of the app; but I'm still open to any suggestion as to how to get the html from the site into the running app.

I am able to paste the entirety of the string into the box (I can see the tail end), but when I ask construct to tell me the length of what it reads, it typically returns 524.288 caracters.

At first I tried to use Pode's HTML plugin to load the site into an iFrame inside the app, but because of some cross-domain thingy I could read the iframe's inner HTML from the app...

Now that I think about it, the site does provide this chunck bits after bits as you scroll down, so if I eventually managed to grab it directly from the iframe I wouldn't even need to manage huge strings in the first place.

I just know nothing about these cross domain thing.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I wanted to make an app to process insanely long chunck of HTML, (I'm speaking of several millions of caracters), but just found that construct would truncate any string I give it to the 524.288th caracter

That shouldn't happen. Does every browser do it? Can you make a minimal test case and file a bug report for it?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)