How do I use Video plugin on mobile devices

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
8-bit retro-style music and sound effects: 10 loops-able music tracks and 301 individual SFX!
  • DetteMan, you are, in fact, correct. Runs without a hitch!

FredQ, I have All the more reason to suspect there is something I have omitted in my build, since your video plays just fine. And thank you for linking it, by the way. Now I know I'm not totally crazy. ; )

• I'm about to give up. Someone please tell me what im doing wrong.

1. Convert video to WebM with VP8 codec through VLC.

2. Import the video to my construct 2 project under the files folder.

3. Add a Video plugin and type the filename in the video plugin properties under WebM file.

4. Export my project with cordova.

5. Build my app with Intel xdk, android crosswalk.

There must be something more you need to do since this obviously not work. Whould be very greatful for any help.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • DatapawWolf

Have you gotten it to work? Or have you given up as well?

• I have the same problem with my videos exported with XDK, strange because the video starts on the emulator but not in the device.

• Ashley Ive seen my phone specs and it says it doesn't support HTML5, just HTML.

Can this be whats causing the problem for Me/Us?

• DetteMan

My videos are now working on my phone, im using Rexrainbow deprecated plugin

https://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-video_t64528

Hope it helps.

• Thanks a bunch lonch!

I'll try that next time I need it.

• Hello Dette Man,

Can you explain step by step how you operated the video in the APK ?.

I tested with the Intel XDK but the video doesn't work in the APP .

Thanks!!!

• hello lonch lonch

i tried Rexrainbow's plugin, my video was still not shown on my phone. did you set anything in intel xdk to make it work?

• Anybody got the videos to play ?

Cause I tried everything from Rexrainbow, converting several time with different bit rates ogv, webm, mp4 and nothing worked.

The video is not playing at all, even in the latest intel xdk v2893 emulator.

Plz help.

• I think mobile devices only play H.264 videos. However, HTML5 prefers .WEBM and .OGV so maybe excluding those formats and use only .MP4 file might work. Desktop browser can play H.264 videos too so don't worry. You can give it a try.

• I also can't get video to play automatically on mobile. It seems to load right up and play fine in NW.js, but not when I preview over LAN or export to mobile. On mobile, the audio plays, but only if I touch the screen first. But I want the video to play right away without any problem. I've imported the video as mp4, webm, and ogv but still nothing seems to work. If there's a direction anyone could point me in, that'd be great. It seems this is a problem all around.

• video has been a difficult thing since the start, couldn't get them to play on chrome and safari, sometimes played in firefox, other times not at all. not even audio.

removing the .ogv AND renaming every video so they have NO capitals! worked for me to get the video's to play in the browser directly from website on Firefox, Chrome & Safari. latest versions, desktop. so that's something..

however, mobile is a B&^$% and I've been coming back and forth to this video problem for months!

the Project is getting in shape, all smooth 60fps on mobile but basic video won't play (and it HAS to be playable in offline mode!)

if i find anything... i'll post right here. seems to be pretty up to date in here

• video has been a difficult thing since the start, couldn't get them to play on chrome and safari, sometimes played in firefox, other times not at all. not even audio.

removing the .ogv AND renaming every video so they have NO capitals! worked for me to get the video's to play in the browser directly from website on Firefox, Chrome & Safari. latest versions, desktop. so that's something..

however, mobile is a B&^$% and I've been coming back and forth to this video problem for months!

the Project is getting in shape, all smooth 60fps on mobile but basic video won't play (and it HAS to be playable in offline mode!)

if i find anything... i'll post right here. seems to be pretty up to date in here

Thanks for the info. That's pretty unfortunate. The reason I'm using video is because it would take a lot of sprites to create every single animation I have. Video is the only logical choice to make it less of a memory hog. When I play it on mobile via LAN or export out to it, it'll play the audio after touching the screen. I would think that if it's set to autoplay or having the system start it, it should just play.

I really don't get it. Maybe a dev can answer this? I know I'm new and all, but I was really hoping to take full advantage of the feature-set and getting the video plugin to handle the task.

• Thanks for the info. That's pretty unfortunate. The reason I'm using video is because it would take a lot of sprites to create every single animation I have. Video is the only logical choice to make it less of a memory hog. When I play it on mobile via LAN or export out to it, it'll play the audio after touching the screen. I would think that if it's set to autoplay or having the system start it, it should just play.

I really don't get it. Maybe a dev can answer this? I know I'm new and all, but I was really hoping to take full advantage of the feature-set and getting the video plugin to handle the task.

i just noticed in the r222 release they fixed the video bug with capitals! i'll test this later today.

not really the "fix" we're looking for, but at least the video names will look cleaner with capitals back in them

and as far as i know, you always need that first touch on mobile, i also managed to get audio but no video with a first touch (the video is in a seperate layout with autostart and events making sure it autostarts, and they work fine on the desktop or web versions.)

i also used buttons to move the video to another layer, set it's size to max screen size, or original size, visibility, global, loading from another layout, went all over google.. oh, and different mp4 / webm converts, wth or without streaming option, different bitrate (1000-2500 tested) (VP9 converts crash on my end, so i can't try that yet) and i bet i missed a few more things, but basicly, no video at all. sometimes audio.

i need the video's myself for pre-rendered animations, basicly any fullscreen animation that's too detailed or too heavy for C2 to handle.

png sequences work fantastic but eat a lot of data. and they're all story-based, so i can't rely on the player to always have a stable connection.

i'm not completely sure what the filesize limit are, what's IntelXDk's limit? Google / ios seem to have 2gb now? with the ability to download additional data.

png sequences would still easily fit it these numbers are true.

help? Ashley ?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)