How do I use Video plugin on mobile devices

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
8-bit retro-style music and sound effects: 10 loops-able music tracks and 301 individual SFX!
  • So I'm having the same issue.

Specs:

C2 - R201

Using the video plugin and a webm and mp4 encoding for all videos (both of which play in VLC)

Basic actions to play from source (Note: my project works perfectly fine being run in Firefox, however, both Chrome and the APK generated by Intel XDK fail to play the exported video files)

Intel XDK (latest release as of 4/10)

Export through C2 using Cordova, for Android 4.0+

With all the above, I have exported my project and nothing is shown on my Android device.

I presume this is the same issue that causes Chrome to not play anything in the project.

Does anyone have any fix for this? It seems to be an awfully common error with little discussion.

Could this perhaps be an issue with permissions? Using the newest version of XDK, I have not added any other permissions because I presumed that, because nothing was noted in the manual, I would not need to check anything additional.

• Bump...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Im also trying to get this to work but with no success. Is it even possible to have a video in a crosswalk built app? Or should i just give up?

• DetteMan What is confusing is that others seem to have gotten it to work.

But also, what encoding did you use? I'm thinking perhaps apps do not support all codecs available, and developers are not being told how to encode videos.

In my case my mp4 file was in h.264, while me WebM was VP9. I think I may try a combination of a few different mp4 encoding and the older VP8 for the WebM version.

• FredQ

I saw that you have managed to get it working. I've tried only using WebM format but it still does not work after export. It works when previewing on the computer. Have i missed something?

• DatapawWolf

Im not sure about encoding. How can i see that? I've just tried converting the video to a bunch of different formats.

• http://developer.android.com/guide/appe ... rmats.html

Ah hah! Take a look at this, Only VP8, and then for MP4, a few other types of encoding that I was not using.

Also, yeah, if launching to And our 4.0+, all that is needed is this VP8 WebM. Also would be handy to know so as to not bloat exports unnecessarily.

• DetteMan, you can see detailed information using VLC. I'm in my phone right now so I cannot give you. Detailed how to, but the functionality is there. : )

• DatapawWolf

Oh, great. I'm also on my phone but I am going to check it out once I'm home. Let me know if you get it to work.

• I'll definitely post about it when I can. I also have college classes, heh, so we shall see when I finally get to work on it. Hopefully at least tonight.

• DatapawWolf

Any luck? I tried to convert to a bunch of formats with different codecs in VLC but just cant seem to get it to work. One wierd thing is that in the XDK emulator the video wont show. But, if I change the device to samsung galaxy S it works. Thinking if its because it probobly run on Android 2.3?

• FredQ

I saw that you have managed to get it working. I've tried only using WebM format but it still does not work after export. It works when previewing on the computer. Have i missed something?

I don't know if this will help but here's some more information.

I built with Crosswalk 10, I've not tried it with 7 so I'm not sure if it works with that version and VLC Player tells me the video codec is VP8.

If you want to see it in action my app is at:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quiz90tv.nsgames

Click the green man on the menu, it'll take you to a layout with a promo video for another game I have.

• Thank alot FredQ

that gave me some hope that at least its possible some way.

• I built with Crosswalk 10, I've not tried it with 7 so I'm not sure if it works with that version and VLC Player tells me the video codec is VP8.

FredQ Well I'm even more confused now! I am using that exact codec in my videos, and Crosswalk 10 like you. Not working.

Did you enable anything else with the Android build? Any extra permissions? Did you build with Construct 2 r201+? Did you leave the video files in your Files folder in your Construct 2 project or import them into XDK?

However, my device is only running Android r10. So I'm considering the fact that I need a different video encoding entirely, one that is supported on more Android platforms.

• DatapawWolf

Have you tried the game FredQ liknked to? If that works then there should not be a device problem, right?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)