Various questions about platform movement ...

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Human/Character Base Pixel Art Sprites in various poses (nearly 100 files)
  • I am working at a platform game and I would like to know the best methods to do the following:

1. Enemies will have different sizes. How can I stomp/squeeze (Mario style) the small ones (smaller then player's height) and stay above the big ones (bigger then player's height) ?

Following this tutorial I learned how to stomp the smaller enemies and not stomp the bigger ones. How can I make the player to stay above bigger ones ? I am thinking about the Solid behavior, but I would like make the enemies overlap each other (to be able to create crowd/herds of enemies).

2. The player will have 2 behaviors (platform and bullet) with different sprite sizes. Witch method is better or more recommended ?

Method 1:

• Create only one player
    • Assign it the platform and bullet behaviors
    • Only one behavior being active at time, switch the behaviors (and the sprites/animation) when needed

Method 2:

• Create 2 players
    • Assign a behavior to each player
    • Switch between players when needed (destroy the current player and create the other one)
  • What do you need bullet for on the main character? Dashing? You can do this without bullet. For larger enemies you can make sure your character jumps high enough to land on top. Unless I am misunderstanding something on this one.

• BluePhaze

1. The same enemy can be found in different sizes.

• If the player jumps on a small enemy, the player squeeze it (like Mario and goombas)
    • if the player jumps on a big enemy, the players remains/stays on top of it (the enemy is not killed).

2. The gameplay will be 2 in 1: normal platforming (like Mario) and a PowerUp that will transform the player into a ball-like shape (here I need the bullet behavior for the bounce)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Anyone ?

• For the 2nd question, I decided to go with 2 players since I will be able to customize better each behavior

But what about my 1st question ?

[quote:3nyx0piw]The same enemy can be found in different sizes.

• If the player jumps on a small enemy, the player squeeze it (like Mario and goombas)
    • if the player jumps on a big enemy, the players remains/stays on top of it (the enemy is not killed).
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)