Using angles with Particles

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Particles support animations, collisions, effects and etc.
  • Hello again dear forum!

I would like to be able to angle a particle emitter.

What I mean by that is this:

I can use a particle emitter to create a column of swirling particles using the X and Y randomiser features of the emitter. By tweaking these I can make a particle-filled quadrangle of any size, but it will always be vertical. Want I want to be able to do is to change the angle of the quadrangle. So I can create a sort of particle-beam which can be oriented to any angle/direction.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

• Or otherwise, can I emit particles along a line which can be angled?

• Potential solution: Create many image points along a rectangular object and spawn an emitter at each point. Closest so far.

• Did you try changing the particle object's angle ?

• Yes, sadly that doesn't seem to do anything it all. The particles don't inherit their angle of motion from the emitter.

You can make the particles emit at a specific angular velocity, but not from an angled line.

After testing it out by just attaching emitters to an object I've decided that I don't think this is the effect I want. But I'd still be curious if anyone can find a way to do it.

• https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70305965/particle_angle.capx - is this the kind of thing you wanted, or have I misunderstood?

• Thanks signal, but that's not what I'm looking for. But I think I found a better way to describe it.

I want particles to emit at a perpendicular angle along a plane.

So if the plane is horizontal then particles will be emitted vertically along it. If the plane is vertical then particles will be emitted horizontally along it. And the difficult part: if the plane is at an angle then the particles need to be emitted at the corresponding perpendicular angle, while still only originating from along the edge of the plane.

• Santhenar - ok I think I may understand now, try this one https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70305965/particle_angle_2.capx It's probably not a very elegant example, but unless I've misunderstood again it seems to do what you want.

• Yes that is the right idea, but if you set the angle of the box to 45 degrees then you'll see my problem.

• Ahh yes, I understand now. I can't seem to find a way to do it either, I thought perhaps making a custom particle system that spawned particles along the width of the base might do the trick, but it yielded similar results when the base is rotated to anything other than right angles. If there was some way to offset the x and y values along the width of the emitter object as it is rotating I guess it would do the trick, but something like that is way out of my league.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for your help, I honestly don't think it's possible without building a custom particle emitter. But I think it may be useful for me to do that anyway.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)