Understanding Revolute Joints

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • This is a help request particularly for ramones because he helped silkc2 resolve an issue for a physics-based bridge-making program. HOWEVER! Obviously there are many of you who understand the physics behavior, so please feel free to chime in!

What I need is a "for dummies" explanation of the Physics behavior, in particularly, the Revolute Joints. I've read the manual but it doesn't do much to explain exactly how to put it together.

As a stepping stone for a larger project I'm working on, I'm working on a test program to learn more about Physics. The set-up is that there is a single sprite - a dot - on the screen. When the mouse arrow touches the dot, from whichever point on the dot's circumference, a new dot instance will appear at the very point of mouse-over-dot contact. Thus, the two instances will touch at their respective edges where the mouse originally touched the first instance. (To prevent further complications, I set it so that each instance can only create one new copy of itself one time, requiring an instance variable.)

So far, I figure that a Revolute Joint is the best choice, but I'm not for certain. I've also considered a Distance Joint...but that one's even more complicated (and I could use someone to explain each part of it to me, too).

Rather than JUST giving me all the answers, of course, I welcome someone walking me THROUGH it. Thank you so much!

• Maybe you want to check the basic and advanced physics tutorial.

I think it's pretty well explained especially if you start with the basic tutorial and follow up with the advanced after.

I know it helped me understand the physics behavior better after two or three reads.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Kyatric - *forehead-palm followed by dragging my hand down my face for an extended facepalm* How long have I been here now and I didn't think to look at the tutorials this time?? Thank you, sir! I'll check those out now.

• Ashley - LOL I'm messing around with the Physics - distance joint.capx example (I presume you set this one up) that you referred to in your tutorial, and I'm levitating the cog to make the HTML5 shield "jump rope" around it. Man, I'm having a blast. (Us crazy Yanks, eh? LOL)

I really appreciate how much work you and your brother have put into this. It means more than I can say (without getting ridiculously long-winded).

I've recently learned about a program code called Corona that, as I understand it, is similar to Java, but easier in a sense. I aim to look into in the future as my programming skills grow because I want to have at least working familiarity with different languages as I pursue my loftier dreams. But you can be sure that C2 is going to hold a special place in my gaming heart - not to sound too sentimental about it. lol Just...wow. I'm GRATEFUL. So VERY grateful. Thank you both (and you, too, Kyatric!) for all your amazing work. I really do hope the God of Heaven blesses you tremendously (I'm a Christian...I don't throw that out lightly ;) ).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)