How do I type in a name with a gamepad?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Total customisation of the input! You can combine inputs from all peripherals. Make your game accessible for everyone!
  • Hey, guys!

I found a lot of tutorials of how you can type in your name for leader board entries with the keyboard.

...but since the game I am making is more of a "Sitting on the couch with a controller" type of game. I'd like to type my name, how you did it in Zelda, Final fantasy, Crono trigger etc:

Trying to figure out how I will make this work without adding a billion events for every possible key-press on each location. I am not using a mouse at all for this project.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! c:

• If it can help you, you could use sprites for letters, each letter being a different animation frame for the same sprite.

Then you move an overlay sprite by lets say 32 pixels (Letter sprite is 32 pixels too)

If OverlaySprite is positioned in A then it can move only if X is greater or equal than A.XPosition.

I did something similar for a menu with around 10 lines of code or a bit more so should hopefully be fairly easy.

Good luck!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • No reason why you couldn't use a sprite font or text object is there ? Use a for loop to generate them on StartLayout, use the index to calculate X and Y positions. Or alternatively use the style used in early arcade games (why so many high score tables say AAA)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)