So what I did (on my phone so no links or pics sorry):
1. Create a black tililing background object the size of the screen.
2. Set it to global and place it on another layout (where I usually keep all my objects tidy)
3. Add the fade behavior twice to it and set its opacity to 0
4. Set one behavior with a fade in time, and the other with a fade out time, disable both at start, and tell only the fade out behavior to destroy after fading out
5. When I want to transition, I call a function to:
5A. Create and place my black tiling object inside and on the top layer and at position 0,0.
5B. Start the fade in behavior (which fades the object to black)
6. Add event that only fires when our black object has an opacity of 100 (fully black) (I think there may have been another condition but I can't remember at the moment):
6A. Transition to your target layout
6B. Begin the fade out behavior (which will fade out the black object and reveal your new layout)
7. The object, because you set it to destroy on fade out, will be gone!