Can I use a template's code, or parts of it and...

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Two levels with two sistem Wave. with Source-code (.c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • Hi,

Can I use a template's code, or parts of it and, change graphics, maipulate the code, change it a lot but still maintain the same concept of a game offered in the templates on Construct2 to make my own game and still publish it, commercially, to Google Play/Store without infringing any patents or breaking any rule, is this allowed here?

In other words, take Ghost shooter for exxample, if I change graphics, play with the code but still maintain the game's concept and objectives, would I be breaking any rules or get any punishments or be breaking any laws??

Thank you.

• Hi,

I am not sure if you are asking the right question but I will try to answer.

1) Every letter is not patented. I can draw a triangle and so can other people, nobody can patent the ability to draw a triangle.

Similarly, nobody can patent something like all games where you shoot from bottom belong to me - there is no such thing.

Patents must be very precise.

Consequently, you can do a lot of things which other games do. And as you might know it is very spread in the gaming world copying best practices from other games. The only thing you cannot or should not do is copy 100% exactly.

2) Much more often the graphics, brands, names and design is patented and not the code or game logic behind. Like you cannot make Monopoly because they might have a problem with you, but you can make your own version which is slightly different and call it COW-WORLD.

Finally, why I said you are asking the wrong question is: what you are asking is referred to cloning i believe. There is indeed a purpose or place for game clones. But long term wise, if you only clone stuff and never create something that is truly your creation / something unique, then your success may be very limited.

Good luck

• Hi,

1) Every letter is not patented. I can draw a triangle and so can other people, nobody can patent the ability to draw a triangle.

Similarly, nobody can patent something like all games where you shoot from bottom belong to me - there is no such thing.

Consequently, you can do a lot of things which other games do. And as you might know it is very spread in the gaming world copying best practices from other games. The only thing you cannot or should not do is copy 100% exactly.

2) Much more often the graphics, brands, names and design is patented and not the code or game logic behind. Like you cannot make Monopoly because they might have a problem with you, but you can make your own version which is slightly different and call it COW-WORLD.

Finally, why I said you are asking the wrong question is: what you are asking is referred to cloning i believe. There is indeed a purpose or place for game clones. But long term wise, if you only clone stuff and never create something that is truly your creation / something unique, then your success may be very limited.

Good luck

Thank you a lot. Very clarifying! thank you...

• Hi,

Good luck

thank you so much... Really Thanks!!!

• hehe, you are welcome

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • the templates were to show ways to do things with the engine, however were meant to give you a head start in to making your own game. thats what a template is. you're meant to build onto, change, and remake said templates, to create the game that you feel should exist (or just want to make). while it is insisted that you build from the ground up, if you're going to add in the same concepts anyway, theres nothing wrong with starting halfway there. just make sure if you're going to sell a game that all artwork is either original or public domain etc, or give proper accreditation royalties etc, as otherwise you can be sued for your house, car, pc, etc unless you are incorporated or LLC etc.

• thats were as in they were, not were as in we're, i didnt want to mislead you into thinking im affiliated with scirra

• the templates were to show ways to do things with the engine, however were meant to give you a head start in to making your own game. thats what a template is. you're meant to build onto, change, and remake said templates, to create the game that you feel should exist (or just want to make). while it is insisted that you build from the ground up, if you're going to add in the same concepts anyway, theres nothing wrong with starting halfway there. just make sure if you're going to sell a game that all artwork is either original or public domain etc, or give proper accreditation royalties etc, as otherwise you can be sued for your house, car, pc, etc unless you are incorporated or LLC etc.

Hi. Thank you so much. Your feedback was very clarifying.

I just needed to know whereI was stepping.

I am not as well versed as you when it comes to copyrights and public domain, but I know there are rights and I respect that, it isn't fair to steal from others, 'cause I wouldn't like that.

But thank you so much for sharing that with me.

Thank you, really!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)