Sprites and where to keep them?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Build your map with these isometric objects and terrains
  • A long while back it was said to keep the sprites just outside of the layout. Now i've seen some say keep them on a standalone layout.

What is "best practice" today for the sprites?

• When one tells you to keep them on a standalone layout, there was probaly a context. And this context is 'global'. Yes, it is very handy to keep all global objects on a standalone layout, AND on the same layer. This way, when you change layout, they are just there. Very handy for HUD's, for example.

In other cases, i prefer to place em just outside and then destroy them in the layout start up. Create when needed. But this is just what i prefer.

• Either method works fine... a separate "global" layout, or just outside the layout bounds (then destroy on startup).

There's no real benefit to using either method, apart from calming any OCD tendencies you may have.

~Sol

• Thank you for the input.

calming any OCD tendencies you may have.

~Sol

Exactly!

• Either method works fine... a separate "global" layout, or just outside the layout bounds (then destroy on startup).

There's no real benefit to using either method, apart from calming any OCD tendencies you may have.

~Sol

Actually I never thought of creating a layout with ALL objects. Cool solution, and saves event/actions of destroying on starup...

• > Either method works fine... a separate "global" layout, or just outside the layout bounds (then destroy on startup).

>

> There's no real benefit to using either method, apart from calming any OCD tendencies you may have.

>

> ~Sol

>

Actually I never thought of creating a layout with ALL objects. Cool solution, and saves event/actions of destroying on starup...

Please note the layout must be set as GLOBAL in it's properties, or else it may not work the way you expect it to.

~Sol

• >

> > Either method works fine... a separate "global" layout, or just outside the layout bounds (then destroy on startup).

> >

> > There's no real benefit to using either method, apart from calming any OCD tendencies you may have.

> >

> > ~Sol

> >

>

> Actually I never thought of creating a layout with ALL objects. Cool solution, and saves event/actions of destroying on starup...

>

Please note the layout must be set as GLOBAL in it's properties, or else it may not work the way you expect it to.

~Sol

Ah, thanks for the heads up

Also, I imagine there's a performance issue keeping all those sprites alive rather than in a specific layout, in case we're talking about LOTS of sprites...

• i prefer to place em just outside and then destroy them in the layout start up. Create when needed.

This had never occurred to me before. I think i'll play with this when I get home. I have a lot of sprites on certain layouts, and I take it destroying them on Start of Layout and only recreating them when I need to saves processing?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > i prefer to place em just outside and then destroy them in the layout start up. Create when needed.

>

This had never occurred to me before. I think i'll play with this when I get home. I have a lot of sprites on certain layouts, and I take it destroying them on Start of Layout and only recreating them when I need to saves processing?

Yes it sure does.

Destroying on startup can be problematic in some situations though - like if you're loading data for objects.

I destroy things on startup as well, but often use an instance variable to declare "unused" objects before destroying them.

I have something like;

[ON STARTUP]

--[Object.InstanceVariable=0] Destroy Object

This way, I can set that variable to 1 or whatever for loaded items, and the default value (0) gets destroyed.

~Sol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)