Sprite too Small???

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Various Bell Sounds (from small to huge) / 35 Unique Clips / 2:46 minutes of audio
  • I'm making a very "ambitious" game on this wonderful 2d engine. It's based off of Minecraft, so you can imagine how tiny the resolution is. I was expecting some low-poly, but highly "pixely" images, but instead I'm getting a gigantic blur that is unrecognizable from up close. Not many of my sprites are above 16x16. Are they just to small? I would have imagined that these images would be very blocky and low res, but blurry beyond belief? Is there a solution to this, or must my life be made even harder by having to increase the sizes of all of my sprites of varying sizes by an exact proportion for them to even come up as a low poly image?

• My game uses 16x16 size as well.

The one on the left Is the actual size and the one on the right is zoomed a little more than 300%, as you can see it also starts to blur, And it makes perfect sense.

Here is how it works very basic:

The top row of images I have made the image on the left which is 2x2, And the right one is the scaled up version. As an image consist of X*Y amount of pixels, which each hold some color information. The images on the left have 4 pixels to show the four colors. As you scale up the image you get more pixels. In this case the right one have 16*16 = 256 pixels. But since the original image only consist of 4 pixel, it suddenly have to fill in something for all the added pixels, and that why you get this blur or color bleeding. Simply because there are not enough information in the original image for it be scales that much.

In the lower example the original image is the one on the right. As it is scaled down you start to loose details, this is because the scaled down version simply doesn't have enough pixel to show all the details that are required.

In my experience it always better to scale down than up, because as the image gets smaller its also harder to see the details, so if some of them should disappear its not as bad as things starting to get blurred.

But in general its best to render in the exact size that you need, or only scale by a small factor where you think its acceptable. So working with 16x16 or 256 pixels, there are not really a lot of room for details.

• Yeah, 16x16 is like a SNES sprite, and on today's monitors that's SUPER small. So when you zoom in, it will become blurry. Now, if you want to do Minecraft like pixel graphics, they still need to be large resolution, as a low res image will just stretch and look strange.

For other reference, a GameBoy (original b/w style) sprite max size is 8x16. Gameboy resolution is 160x144. So think about that before you use such small sprites on high resolution displays. So if Mario on Gameboy is about 1/4th the size of the screen, then on your computer monitor he should be about 1/100th the size or so. (seemingly super small)

• Click on the layout, look at the properties and go to project properties>sampling and set linear to point

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/521 ... ixely.capx

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Click on the layout, look at the properties and go to project properties>sampling and set linear to point

You, sir, are an absolute life saver. Thank you so much for this direct and HIGHLY effective solution. I can't thank you enough. !!!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)