[SOLVED]increase speed after collision for a limited time

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Have you ever dreamed of playing in a Speedball game or tournament?
  • Greetings Everyone, I'm a beginner of Construct 2 and I'm making a platformer game. I was wondering, how do I make my "main character" increase speed for a short amount of time after colliding with a "power-up/object" and making that "power-up/object disappear after that.

Thank you for any replies.

Sorry for a noob question

• Hey Euma,

maybe this gives you an idea. Not a Platformer, but the same principle:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap_-qxoGKbDcgRNfngfHgdV3HIAu

(Open in C3 - https://editor.construct.net/)

• When (Your Character) collides with (Powerup), (Your Character) set max speed to (The faster speed), Wait 5 seconds, Set his max speed back to normal.

Hope I helped :p

• 7UKECREAT0R

Using "wait" for tasks like this is a bad idea.

Imagine there are two power-ups. You pick one, run to another one, which takes you 4 seconds, pick it up. So your superspeed should recharge to 5 seconds, right? However, in 1 second that "wait" from the first power-up triggers and your speed returns to normal.

Or another situation - player hits Menu or Pause button. How do you pause "wait"?

So don't use wait, use Timer behavior instead.

• All of you Thank you so much for the help, much appreciated. All methods work but I followed kriand and dop2000 advice. And again thank you so much to the three of you

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 7UKECREAT0R

Using "wait" for tasks like this is a bad idea.

Imagine there are two power-ups. You pick one, run to another one, which takes you 4 seconds, pick it up. So your superspeed should recharge to 5 seconds, right? However, in 1 second that "wait" from the first power-up triggers and your speed returns to normal.

Or another situation - player hits Menu or Pause button. How do you pause "wait"?

So don't use wait, use Timer behavior instead.

I use C2 still, so I don't have timer.

(mostly because c3 has no one time purchase)

• 7UKECREAT0R

What are you talking about? Timer behavior is included in both C2 and C3, even in free versions.

• 7UKECREAT0R

What are you talking about? Timer behavior is included in both C2 and C3, even in free versions.

Crap, I thought it was a plugin. Found it in behaviors. I've never used it in the multiple years I've had C2, and a lot of other behaviors aswell

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)