How do I solve these three questions

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
A slots game template designed to be skin-able for mobile
  • Hi there!

I plan to create a game for PC users. The thing is - I've read many tutorials, and still can't understand many things. Many of them are related to the mobile games, and, in my opinion, they cannot be applied to the PC games. But maybe I'm wrong. Here's the three question that I want to solve first.

1) How to make a 'unique' screen resolution?

For example, I have two monitors with 2560x1080 and 1920x1080 screen resolutions. What resolution should I set in the Window Size section at my project settings, so people with the 2560x1080 resolution and less, could comfortably play my game?

2) How to make the main menu for a PC game? I've searched Scirra's and many other Construct 2 related forums, but still haven't found the right and correct one answer to my question.

3) How to make a 'bubble' with a text that the NPC is saying, if he's looking at you like you are playing in the first person game? Example: i.imgur.com/dH7c046.png

Thanks!

• 1. The resolution you input depends on how you're scaling your sprites, how you want your art to present, and what devices you're targeting. How that resolution is represented on screens that don't match the ratio of the resolution is controlled by the 'Fullscreen in browser' property. See this tutorial by Ashley for more:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/73/sup ... reen-sizes

2. This will depend on how you store your configuration options, how you control sessions, saving and loading, and so-on. Essentially, I would leave this concern for now - you can make your menu exactly how you want it, and it can be so isolated from the rest of the game as to be scrapped and re-written whenever you want. Construct 2 is a brilliant system for writing GUI.

3. I would use a 9-patch object to make the bubble itself, and a text object over the top to display the NPC's speech.

• Thanks for the answer!

1. The resolution you input depends on how you're scaling your sprites, how you want your art to present, and what devices you're targeting. How that resolution is represented on screens that don't match the ratio of the resolution is controlled by the 'Fullscreen in browser' property. See this tutorial by Ashley for more:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/73/sup ... reen-sizes

If I understood you correctly, I can use the 2560x1080 resolution, but place my sprites very carefully, right?

2. This will depend on how you store your configuration options, how you control sessions, saving and loading, and so-on. Essentially, I would leave this concern for now - you can make your menu exactly how you want it, and it can be so isolated from the rest of the game as to be scrapped and re-written whenever you want. Construct 2 is a brilliant system for writing GUI.

Main stuff before, the menu later. Gotcha!

3. I would use a 9-patch object to make the bubble itself, and a text object over the top to display the NPC's speech.

Will definitely try this. Thank you!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Quite right, yes.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)