How do I make solid ground without using tiles?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
25 high quality isometric ground blocks + sprite sheet
  • So I've been wondering, if you dont use tiles you're forced into making individual sprites for the ground, right?

Or is there a genius way to do it because I really want to make a more artistic style like Rayman for example and don't want to be forced to do a tiled ground.

Thanks!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just drag and drop your image file on Construct 2, and add the behavior "Solid". It should automatically make a collision poly for you.

Use the PNG file format when saving from your image editor and it will save the transparent "Alpha mask" for you so there are invisible parts.

Try to keep your sprites "Convex" rather than concave. This will make sure you dont get any errors from the physics engine.

• I know how it works. That is not my question at all..

My question was if you don't use tiles, the only option you have left is to make an individual sprite or a lot of different sprites to build the ground.

• I know how it works. That is not my question at all..

My question was if you don't use tiles, the only option you have left is to make an individual sprite or a lot of different sprites to build the ground.

• Well, your player has to stand on something - unless you use custom movement and develop your own rules. You also have to build your scenery somehow. (And your game will be more memory efficient if you use small, reusable objects or tiles - that's what Rayman does.) But if you want to keep solid ground separate from the artwork, then use invisible solid sprites. one sprite can be stretched to provide "ground" across the entire layout. You can angle them to create slopes, add a couple more to make platforms... a few sprites can go a long way.

• That's basically what I was asking, if that would be a posibility. I'm afraid using individual sprites for the ground might be an issue.

You talk about Rayman, that's kinda a doubt I had, because it doesn't feel like tiles at all. But something like that is what I am aiming for, a less duplicate-tile style that looks enterily the same throught the whole layout.

About the invisible solid ground that's what I do everytime, I don't like to apply behaviours to a tilemap for example, I rather have a solid invisible ground and a tile on top of it.

• Smileh

Rayman uses a completely custom, in house engine - there are some awesome videos on youtube about how they make levels. They don't use tiles in the way C2 does. But they do build levels out of lots of small pieces, because every developer has to worry about memory use and GPU performance.

I don't think you have to worry about using sprites for ground - as long as you use as few as possible, and make sure you don't have poor corners that will trip up your player. The only other option is to use custom movement, but that just creates a different set of problems.

• AllanR Yeah I've seen some of it, just wondering how to adapt it to C2.

I guess I will just go for tiles but make a like 2-3 different ones for each corner/whatever so it gives some variety.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)