Hi all. I have been trying to find the best way to create the appearance of smooth terrain that will work with a physics-based game.
What I am looking for is something like Tiny Wings. Rolling hills with a simple pattern fill. I found a nice tutorial for Box2d and Flash but I am not sure I would be able to translate this to Construct2. The whole level is basically made up of slices. Each slice being a portion of the hill with a 4-sided collision polygon.
Here were my initial thoughts:
1. Create a base set of tiles to piece together hills
+ Perhaps possible to automate generation of slices
- Super tedious to manage
- Would need to create duplicate tile sets for each pattern fill
- Probably not performant and would require I load everything dynamically to keep the amount of physics objects to a minimum
2. Try ditching physics and faking it
+ Solves my terrain problem
+ Probably better performance wise
- Requires me to simulate everything I get for free with physics
3. I have overlooked something painfully obvious (which is highly likely)
Thanks for any help!