Simulating A Magnifying Glass Object

1 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • I'm thinking of ideas for game mechanics and one of them has the player using a magnifying glass object moving around by mouse to find another object. Have any developers here created a game build that simulates such an action? I think I have an idea of how to achieve it with events but I wanted to know if anyone else has done this. Any help would be appreciated.

• Hey YoHoho,

You might be able to use either the "Destination In" or "Source In" blend mode.

You would need to make the magnifying glass out of two sprites,

(1) the image of the magnifying glass, and

(2) a "mask" for the glass area of the magnifying glass.

This mask sprite would have it's blend mode set to "Destination In" if you wanted items under it to become visible as the glass mask passes over them.

Alternatively, you can use "Source In" if you want the glass mask to reveal objects above the glass.

To see examples of these blend modes in action, you can open the blend modes example project.

In Construct2, from the main menu, choose New, and scroll down to, and open, "Example: Blend modes".

(You can also search for "blend" in the search field, instead of scrolling to find it.)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • there is a supplied glfx called "lens" that could be used.

edit

nevermind.

• I'm thinking of ideas for game mechanics and one of them has the player using a magnifying glass object moving around by mouse to find another object. Have any developers here created a game build that simulates such an action? I think I have an idea of how to achieve it with events but I wanted to know if anyone else has done this. Any help would be appreciated.

Something like this?

• Thanks for the responses. The .capx file looks a little off but could probably be adjusted. I will definitely try out both suggestions when I get a chance.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)