Signalling server

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
The official Scirra Multiplayer Signalling Server for helping peers find and connect to each other
  • Hi,

How can I set up a signalling server on my website. Using my website's hosting?

Is it possible, at all? Or I have to run it on my personal machine and re-direct my hostname to my IP, use portforwarding and all other crap that come with it.

EDIT:

I found this https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/installable-applications/manual-installations/installing-node-js-on-managed-hosting-accounts is this the answer to my question?

• I would contact your host's support for information. The signalling server also has a readme with more information. However I'd recommend against hosting your own server if you're not sure how to do it - it is easy to set up a server which has worse connectivity than the Scirra one. For example unless you set up a secure server with TLS and certificates and all that, a proportion of users will not be able to connect.

• Thanks for the reply Ashley.

I have SSL certificate on my hosting (it's godaddy). I don't think there will be a problem with connectivity or security or setting it up. I was just wondering if I can do it using my website's hosting. Or do I need a dedicated Linux/Windows/Mac machine with real IP. Or the other option of course Virtual Server.

• Ok, so, I managed to install node.js and npm on my website's hosting. Using these instructions https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/installable-applications/manual-installations/installing-node-js-on-managed-hosting-accounts#Installation-prerequisites

However when I try to install the signalling server I bought from scirra I get an error/warning. The readme file states:

Installing
    ==========

Install node.js from http://nodejs.org/ for Windows, Mac or Linux.

Once installed, install the dependencies with:

npm install ws
    npm install colors

[/code:1ue5luyn]

I have node.js and npm installed, but when I try to install ws I get the following output:
    [code:1ue5luyn]
    [~]$ node --version
    v6.10.0
    [~]$ npm --version
    [~]$ npm install ws
    /home/username
    `-- wsyzp@2.2.0
      `-- ultronyzp@1.1.0

npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/username/package.json'
    npm WARN username No description
    npm WARN username No repository field.
    npm WARN username No README data
    npm WARN username No license field.

[/code:1ue5luyn]

Can anyone explain to me what's the issue here?
    I didn't get any package.json with the signalling server from scirra.
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Great, buy a signalling server from Scirra, and it will not work and you'll get NO support what-so-ever.

• You might get better responsiveness by emailing directly rather than leaving a post on the forums.

Although I don't understand why you would purchase the signalling server if you were not prepared to run it on your own dedicated server, especially since Scirra provides a high quality free one. All of these considerations were laid out very clearly on the store page.

• Because it was cheap

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)