How do I Setup directional based attacks

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully animated four directional eye monster game asset
  • Project is a sidescrolling fighting game

Currently I have 4 playerboxes used as hitboxes for each player. I have 14 characters that are positioned ontop the those playerboxes. Right now I have 4 directional based melee attacks (punch left, right up down etc) but I'm trying to decide how to go about making 4 more attacks that are more complex and unique to each character. What would be a good way to setup a function for this? So when a player is holding left and pressing C they will do the associated attack for the character they are playing as

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey Prazon,

Hopefully I'm interpreting this right, it sounds like there are 14 different selectable characters in the game, and you have a generalized character rig setup that has a spot for the selected character in the middle, and then 4 boxes situated around the character, representing attack zones to the left, right, top, and bottom of the character.

You want a control input, like Towards + C, to trigger a unique action depending on the chosen character.

Two options come to mind, global variables is one, and a callback function system is the other. The global variable method is easier but a little less flexible, though it should still work just fine in this case.

Global variables:

You can use a global variable to store the name of the character chosen by the player, and only trigger that character's attack if their name is found in the global.

e.g.

* Event: If keyboard pressed Left + C.

* * SubEvent: If global characterName = "lulu". -- Action: Call function "luluShield".

* * SubEvent: If global characterName = "veigar". -- Action: Call function "veigarStun".

* * SubEvent: If global characterName = "teemo". -- Action: Call function "teemoSelfDestruct".

Callback functions:

You can create a Dictionary object, that maps control input events (Dictionary keys) to function names (Dictionary values). At the point that a player selects a character, you can populate the Dictionary with the chosen character's functions. These functions will execute the character's actions.

e.g.

* Event: Player chooses "lulu".

Actions:

Add to Dictionary key = "Left+C", value = "luluShield" .

Add to Dictionary key = "Right+C", value = "luluSpeedUp".

etc ...

* Event: If keyboard pressed Left + C. -- Action: Call function ( Dictionary.getValue( "Left+C" ) ).

Note: Dictionary.getValue( "Left+C" ) will return "luluShield", which we added earlier, and so the action evaluates to [Call function ( "luluShield" ).]

* Event: On function "luluShield". -- Action: Execute the stuff that's supposed to happen when Lulu uses her shield ability.

Hope that helps.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)