securing resources for graphic intensive game

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Over 1700 16x16 pixel art RPG icons for item and skills
  • Hello,

I'm creating an Android game which has lot of animations and mp4 video files.

Basically its a talking pet kind of game, like Talking Tomcat where predefined animations plays on user interaction.

So, the main game assets im concern about are the animation videos, there is not much of a coding there...

which can easily be stolen and lot of duplicate copies can be created, I

Is there any way I can make it difficult "At least for an average guy" to steal/extract the files ?

Thanks in advance.

• You should google copyright law, and check out how all that works.

• Thanks for the reply.... Yes, I know about the law, but practically I cannot just track and sue people around, they can upload your project animations, resources to various sites, or make app copies and post on torrents etc.

Will it always be an open door, anybody can come and steal and you have to run after them ?

• You can extract the resources from any game, that doesn't mean that it happens to that many games.

Usually for it to occur, it has to be quite popular, In which case these types of ripping are beneficial, as they draw attention to your game, and the fact that it's practically impossible to hide your identity and make a huge profit off of someone else's work.

• Well, yes that's right....

But Is there a way I can exclude those videos upfront in the apk, and rather download them to device later after installation ?

Like some games, which download some resource files after launching the game.

it wont make difference but atleast I avoid the step of simply opening the apk and taking stuff

• Yes, and there are some third party plugs to aid in obfuscation.

It pretty much doubles your workload, but yeah, you can encrypt all your strings, and hide all your things.

On mobile, that will likely mean you will have to download resources every time, unless you use some third party Cordova plugs to deal with device storage.

• A good way to make your assets a bit more secure on windows, is to export to NW.js and merge the nw.exe with the package.nw file. It will not make it impossible to decompile your assets, but it makes it harder. To do this, just run this cmd command in the game folder:

copy /b nw.exe+package.nw YOUR_GAME_NAME.exe[/code:1bblzo80]
    Delete the [i]nw.exe[/i] and [i]package.nw[/i] files afterwards.
  • A good way to make your assets a bit more secure on windows, is to export to NW.js and merge the nw.exe with the package.nw file. It will not make it impossible to decompile your assets, but it makes it harder. To do this, just run this cmd command in the game folder:

copy /b nw.exe+package.nw YOUR_GAME_NAME.exe[/code:1j99nqnp]
    Delete the [i]nw.exe[/i] and [i]package.nw[/i] files afterwards.

Thanks for the reply, Im creating the game for Android platform, any method for that ?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • On android its nearly impossible, because everything is nearly opensource. it is super easy to rip your assets out off an android app. the only way to secure your assets on android is to encrypt everything, but this makes your game super slow ... like suuuuper slow. And you have to decrypt the assets when you play the game, but then you could just let the game open end rip the files from the temps, sry mate

• Hmm... anyway, thanks for helping guys.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)