Scroll/Zoom

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
All popular touch mechanics - scrolling, zooming, swiping
  • Hi all,

I'm working on a game that's a loose homage to Star Control 2 and I'm having some trouble getting the zoom and scroll functions to feel right. Star Control II uses an odd kind of zoom where when the two players get far enough away from each other, they switch positions on the screen. I'm okay using a more traditional screenwrap, but I'm running into two problems:

1. Getting screenwrap to look okay with the scale function I'm using -- right now, the screen zooms out so that rather than appearing to exit off one side of the screen and reappear on the other, a ship leaving one edge of the layout simply seems to disappear in the middle of space then reappear on the other side.

2. Integrating scroll with a HUD/overlay. SCII has a simple interface that displays on one side of the screen, showing ship stats and character images. My problem is that I can't figure out how to treat that area of the screen as the edge of the window for the purposes of zooming/scrolling.

Would very much appreciate any assistance with either of these issues, thanks in advance! Here's a link to a .capx, the scroll code is at the top of the only included event sheet: dropbox.com/s/uz30y5im6nqciv9/spaceoffscrolltest.capx

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sounds like both problems stem forth from the layer your using/placing things on, and their respective scale settings.

for instance, with problem 2,

Add a new top layer, set scale 0, and paralax 0,0

add an item in the box with dashes somewhere (top left on your layout, the project viewport), then add anchor behaviour to that object.

I believe for the background its something the same.

Perhaps disable the paralax, or even turn off the scale.

• Not sure that would get the effect I'm after, unless I'm misunderstanding your suggestion. Here's a clip that illustrates what I'm trying to accomplish -- basically my second problem is that I want a fixed area of the screen that is considered out of the window for the purposes of scaling: youtube.com/watch

• Hmm, it looks to be the same what I suggested,   take a look at tankracer

Start the first game round,   you can see the auto zoom effect during game play when you speed up (speed up zoom out, low down zooms in), but as you can see, my hud in the top left (rounds info) remains where its positioned.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)