How do I scan an array and build a second one?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Supports 1D, 2D, 3D arrays. Import and export arrays in JSON format
  • I have an array being filled with data using AJAX and CSV>ARRAY and this works great.

I would like to scan the entire array and build a secondary array that tracks empty entries and their position in the original array.

I am trying to build a For or a While or a For Each loop to do this but I am failing.

I am using len(Array.At(CurrentPosition, 3, 0)) > 0 to look for empty array cells in the 4th column of each part of the For loop but my Construct build is simply not working.

0- XXXX

1- XOOX

2- XXOX

3- OOXX

4- XOXO

5- OXXO

6- OXOX

7- XOOO

8- OOOX

9- OOOO

For each Array.Entry IF Column 3 = X then Push To Back the Current.For into New.Array

This would result in the New.Array of:

0- 0

1- 1

2- 2

3- 3

4- 6

5- 8

Thanks for looking!

• Assuming it's a 2d array of text and that an "empty" slot will have an "X" in it.

Array: W=4, H=3, D=1

Array2: W=0, H=1, D=1

For "" from 0 to array.height - 1

Array.at(3, loopindex)) = "X" --> Array2:Push back loopindex on X axis

Edit: fixed a basic error. see capx. sorry if I caused you more confusion. After re-reading the OP It seems you want to check for "X", not empty cell.

• Interesting. That is close to what I've tried and failed but different in a few key ways... Thanks! I'll give this a try.

• See update above ^^

• After re-reading the OP It seems you want to check for "X", not empty cell.

I was using the X and O as an example...

Yes its a 2d array.

The actual array looks like this:

0 text,text,,text

1 text,,,

2 text, text, text, text

3 text,,,

4 text,,,text

5 text,,,text

6 text,text,,text

and I am hoping to scan the array and build a second array that tells me which entries have text in the last column. The resulting array would look like this:

0 0

1 2

2 4

3 5

4 6

I hope this makes sense... I think I can figure it out from what you've posted though...

Thanks!!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • ok then try this

• This is much more complicated than I need but definitely covers almost every possibility I would ever need.

I think that because all I need is the Array.At position for any empty cell I won't need to do the Log In Browser... but wow that's a cool trick. I didn't know you could do that.

Thanks for all the help! If I can't figure out the rest from here I should just give up and learn to drive a big truck

• I won't need to do the Log In Browser... but wow that's a cool trick. I didn't know you could do that.)

um.. that was just for debugging....

Here is the relevant bit. Not sure how that's complicated..

• By complicated I meant the Browser log stuff was doing a lot more than I needed.

I have built a similar loop but for some reason it runs forever... It should run 11 times and stop but it just keeps going and going forever if I let it go...

AHA! I needed a trigger... or else it just keeps looping 0-10 0-10 over and over...

Making progress thanks for the help!

• By complicated I meant the Browser log stuff was doing a lot more than I needed.

I have built a similar loop but for some reason it runs forever... It should run 11 times and stop but it just keeps going and going forever if I let it go...

AHA! I needed a trigger... or else it just keeps looping 0-10 0-10 over and over...

Making progress thanks for the help!

Yep I had it under On Start of Layout but you could put it in a Function, etc. Anyway well done making progress

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)