Any way to save snapshot to file with Node-Webkit?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Source File, music and art pack for Android Negotiator
  • Hey all, just a quick question.

I've heard of a cool remote playtesting technique where, instead of forcing your players to record themselves, you just take a low-quality screenshot every second or so, then get them to send you those screenshots to look through.

I'd like to try that out with my node-webkit build, but I'm not sure how to actually save a canvas snapshot to a file. Any tips?

Thanks!

• Hey all, just a quick question.

I've heard of a cool remote playtesting technique where, instead of forcing your players to record themselves, you just take a low-quality screenshot every second or so, then get them to send you those screenshots to look through.

I'd like to try that out with my node-webkit build, but I'm not sure how to actually save a canvas snapshot to a file. Any tips?

Thanks!

Not sure the download action would work in that case, if you have a way to change it to a png file before saving it, it would be great, if not, you could still write when the snapshot is ready, the base64 string corresponding to a new file, and since base64 strings can be viewed, should be enough to begin with.

• Tried that, but it didn't work. It outputted the files fine, but Windows said they were corrupted/invalid.

I don't think I'm going to do this anyway since it seems that taking a snapshot hangs the game for a split second, obviously unacceptable to be doing during gameplay on a regular basis.

• sqiddster

I can't speak for the thousands of games out there. But for every game that I played which supported in game screen shots. Everyone had a split second pause. If I wanted a screen shot without the pause I always needed to use an exterior image capture program such as Bandicamp,Fraps....

• jayderyu Oh, yeah, I'm not saying at all that this is a C2 weakness or anything! I totally agree with you.

• I know. But I think if players feel the delay is too long. They can search for an alternative and if they don't mind they can use it

• Tried that, but it didn't work. It outputted the files fine, but Windows said they were corrupted/invalid

That's weird, or maybe you tried to open it with the image viewer, I meant taking the text inside the file, and open this file inside a browser (maybe doing a web shortcut is possible too)

• jayderyu in an action game like this, any delay greater than 1/60th of a second is too long.

Aphrodite yeah, I tried to write to a .png file. Are you suggesting saving the string, then opening it in a browser? It could work but I think that would be very painful when looking through hundreds of pictures.

• Anytime you grab from the gpu it's going to take a tick.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • jayderyu in an action game like this, any delay greater than 1/60th of a second is too long.

Aphrodite yeah, I tried to write to a .png file. Are you suggesting saving the string, then opening it in a browser? It could work but I think that would be very painful when looking through hundreds of pictures.

I meant that (sort of), but yes, a png output would be far better, I agree.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)