Random Values Range

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily generate many levels from a set of pre-built scenes (Construct 3 template)
  • Hey all, been trying to solve a problem involving random values, and have had a good search through the manual and forums but can't seem to figure this out...

I'm trying to pick a random value between 1 and 3, and are currently using this which works fine (the 'Ceil' rounds the numbers up to whole decimals, which is what i want):

Ceil(Random(3))

But how do I use this to pick only 1 or 3 (i need to exclude 2). I thought it would be something like this, but it doesn't work:

Ceil(Random(1,3))

Thinking it would choose either 1 or 3...I think I'm barking up the wrong tree with this logic.

Does anyone know a way to do this? Totally appreciate the help...

• You're basically just choosing between two numbers so just do random(2) check if it's over 1 and return 3 else return 1.

random(2) > 1 ? 3 : 1

• Like this: CapX

I would have used arrays and for loops but I'm not sure how to convert:

var array = [1,3];

for(var i = 0; i < 1; i++)

{

//Just a text function to output the text, use whatever you want

console.log(array);

}

to the construct 2 equivalent.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You could use the choose(1,3) function.

• Thanks for the replies (and sorry for the late reply myself, I tried to reply last week but was getting an error on the forums).

I used OddConfections suggestion of this "random(2) > 1 ? 3 : 1" which did exactly what I needed in the end.

The 'choose(1,3) option sounds useful though. I didn't know about that function.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)