How do I do to "subtract" appended text?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Change delay, create new lines, "backspace" the text
  • I'm using "append" to add sprite's IID to a text objet when the sprite was touched and I need to remove the appended text when the players return his finger to previous sprite.

Touch > is in touch
    _____Touch > is touching sprite > text  append str(sprite.IID)
    _____System > Trigger once

[/code:1u198616] 

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • You don't.

You just set the text to what it was previously.

• Using variables I presume. I don't imagine how to set the new and the old text and mainly how to control when the finger returns to the previous sprite. Could explain to me how can I do it?

• I simulated this condition in a capx and I hope someone can help me to solve it. Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6eru93spgm5h ... .capx?dl=0

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • no help?

• What you did seems fine to me.

Then again I have no idea what you mean by removing text.

You can't subtract from a string unless you do something like use the replace() expression, and replace the text with ""

https://www.scirra.com/manual/126/system-expressions

I don't really suggest using text to do comparisons, but whatever floats your boat.

Likewise I really don't suggest using object id's.

Assigned variables, or its index is a better way to go.

• Touch > is in touch
    _____Touch > is touching sprite > set text to "It's a fish "str(sprite.IID)
    _____Else > set text to "It's a fish!"[/code:6a0l5vhg]

If that's not helpful, maybe you could go into a bit more depth on the goal? When you say the player slides back to a previous sprite, does the text revert to neutral (per my example) or change again depending on which sprite is pushed? In which case I recommend a callback from an instance variable.
  • you know its a bit weird that we can append text but cant go reverse I've alway wonder why. I guess its based on Time always moves forward.

• "Append" by definition means to add. =) It's just a way to alter text without overwriting any existing text, just like a word-processor.

• Well they were going to add an expression for it, but depends was taken.

• Set text to left(text,len(text)-len(appendedtext)?

• Touch > is in touch
    _____Touch > is touching sprite > set text to "It's a fish "str(sprite.IID)
    _____Else > set text to "It's a fish!"[/code:3iiyjm57]

If that's not helpful, maybe you could go into a bit more depth on the goal? When you say the player slides back to a previous sprite, does the text revert to neutral (per my example) or change again depending on which sprite is pushed? In which case I recommend a callback from an instance variable.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I need something more embracing like a callback as you mentioned: as the player go back to each previous sprite, the IID must be removed from the text object, in the original order. I tried to use variables and add to/subtract to actions (Add sprite.IID) but it didn't work. Could you tell me more about the solution you suggest? Thanks.

you know its a bit weird that we can append text but cant go reverse I've alway wonder why. I guess its based on Time always moves forward.

Same here!

• Set text to left(text,len(text)-len(appendedtext)?

Could you give me more details?

• sequence_test.capx

WOW! Genial!!! Thank you Always helpful!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)