When I'm going between layouts (main map <-> sub maps) On leaving the layout I'm saving to a Dictionary:
- Dictionary with all my variables
- Array with player characters infos
- Array with Inventory state
- Array with NPCs
- Array with NPCs that can be respawned
- Array with keys used in game
- 6 tilemaps - 4 different tilemap objects, each max 1920x1920 in size on layout
and then on loading next layout I'm loading everything back from that dictionary - that is really 1 huge dictionary. And it takes max 3 seconds to save and load on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile, on PC it's instant.
So I don't know how big stuff you must have to tak a lot of time to save/load.
2800x2300 tiles, 16 pixels for tile... 44800 x 36800. I guess that must be the reason of the crash.