Psuedo-3D Sci-Fi Racing Game

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Full sci-fi tileset w/ 13 animated objects and 8 decor assets. Bring a platformer to life with this pack.
  • I've recently seen a video of an old Taito arcade game called "VERTEXER." It's very similar to F-Zero X, but made out of sprites and released 5 years earlier.

Is something like this possible in Construct 2? I would imagine it is, but I can't imagine how to execute it!

Here's a video of

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • The game seems to be based in a fake 3d engine like Wolfestein and Doom. Make a search here in the forum and you will find some people who made engines like this.

• It's more than possible, I've done it before. In fact this was a shelved project of mine way back in 2011.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10316081/Construct/Rotary/index.html

If you want to do something like in the video. All it really boils down to is good math and having system in place to swiftly move 100+ objects at a time.

For example

1. In the example I posted, each ring has a Z value that goes up as it goes further in the distance. Each number up multiplies the ring's size and distance from the middle by 70% (A number chosen to make the ring's pieces seamlessly connect ), this makes each ring shrink as it's value goes up.

2. Every tick all the ring's Z values are subtracted from, bringing them "closer" to the screen. Once the value passes about -2 two, 20 is added and it's sent to the back (You're always looking at the same rings, none are ever deleted or added)

3. The rings positions are further controlled by variables, that offset the ring from the center (The effect becoming stronger the higher the ring's Z value)

If you have any questions or want to know more, let me know. Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I'm trying to remember a 3 year old game design.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yarfapet...That's a very solid demo...nice

• Look into the tutorials for pseudo-3d effect as well :)

• Zero6, i'm a huge fan of the examples you've made I can't private message you but I have a few questions that I would like to ask. My bad for trying to contact you here I know that's probably weird lol, but if I could get your email or something or honestly anywhere I could message you it would be amazing. Thanks

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)