Is it possible to make procedurally generated dungeons?

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
  • I'm making a roguelike-type of game similar to nuclear throne. Is it possible to make a system that generates areas like in nuclear throne? I have google -searched, but I didn't find anything useful...

• It's definitely possible.

I believe the method Nuclear Throne used is creating a couple 'walker' objects during generation that would move randomly through the level, carving out space. This meant that there would never be any inaccessible areas. There are a ton of other methods you could use too.

• It's definitely possible.

I believe the method Nuclear Throne used is creating a couple 'walker' objects during generation that would move randomly through the level, carving out space. This meant that there would never be any inaccessible areas. There are a ton of other methods you could use too.

Do you know if anyone has made a game using that "walker" -method in construct 2, so I could ask him how he did that?

• noelberry.ca/2011/04/procedural-generation-the-caves

Thanks!

EDIT: That doesn't seem to tell me how to make it in construct 2...

• Coding in C2 is no different from coding with programming languages, just think of events as skinned lines of code, thus it wouldn't be much hard implementing an algorithm online, here, I found you one

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I've used that method from noelberry, however my implementation was a little slow, as I used an actual object as the digger.

Ive been meaning to try it again using just logic, and skining it with the tilemap object.

• Coding in C2 is no different from coding with programming languages, just think of events as skinned lines of code, thus it wouldn't be much hard implementing an algorithm online,

Thanks a lot! I'll try to mess with some events in C2 Seems a little bit complicated though... I'll try.

• Bernie1400

I made the same version in Construct Classic complete with tutorial.

I've remade the basic idea in Construct 2 for you to play with.

Try it

HERE

EDIT**You'll need the latest Construct 2 beta to open the file

• Bernie1400

Try it

HERE

EDIT**You'll need the latest Construct 2 beta to open the file

This is great, thanks! Gotta download the beta version of C2 then.

• Bernie1400, it is definitely possible and a whole lot of fun check out my game Greed for an example - this basically uses the walker method with a few little additions of my own.

I keep threatening to write a tutorial cos I know a lot of people want to make roguelikes, but who knows whether I'll get round to it... I'd be happy to tell you a bit more about how I did it if you need any tips though, just PM me

• Bernie1400, it is definitely possible and a whole lot of fun check out my game for an example - this basically uses the walker method with a few little additions of my own.

I keep threatening to write a tutorial cos I know a lot of people want to make roguelikes, but who knows whether I'll get round to it... I'd be happy to tell you a bit more about how I did it if you need any tips though, just PM me

A tutorial would be awesome! Well I can't pm you yet, because my reputation isn't high enough yet...

• Minor Hey! I love this cave gen, but is there a way to clean the array or resetting the level without reloading the page?

And last thing, how would player and enemy spawns work in there? Thanks!

Bernie1400

Try it EDIT**You'll need the latest Construct 2 beta to open the file

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)